cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract without my permission?

FrazerG
On our wavelength

I think that I have had something like this happen to me just now. 

In a slightly more sinister way, I called to cancel my contract as I was then out of contract. I was informed of when my contract would end and my final bill. I have just found out now that I have been entered into a new 18-month contract without my consent. I've been paying them fro the last few months, didn't notice.

It's more of a pain as I have a contract with a new web provider and don't need Virgin Media anymore. I just spent a good hour on the phone complaining. I should receive a call from the manager of the agent who put me into the contract in the next 5 days. My complaint about this at the moment is inconclusive. Though I want to hear the phone call of me saying yes to the contract extension, something I know that they don't have. 

It's frustrating as I was with Virgin for 10 years without an issue, so it does leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. 

[MOD EDIT: Post split to create own thread. @FrazerG please add more details so the Community can help]

14 REPLIES 14

FrazerG
On our wavelength

I've had this happen to me too. 

I phoned to end a contract on the 16th December but seemingly I've been put into a new contract. 

I am waiting for my complaint to land with them after the call. They should listen to the call and prove that you entered a contract with them via verbal or written. Something that they don't have if you declined the extension or phoned for something else entirely (in my case). 

This is the first instance that I have had of being entered into a contract without knowing.

[MOD EDIT: Duplicate posts merged into one. Please stick to one thread so the Community can help. Future duplicate posts will deleted]

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi FrazerG, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

I am very sorry to hear this has happened, this is not the level of service we expect to deliver. 

I would be happy to take a further look in to this for you but I will need to confirm a few details first. We can do this via private message and this will be accessible via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

FrazerG
On our wavelength

An update on this one. 

I wasn't able to reach a resolution that I was happy with. It left me losing out on an error that wasn't my fault. I'm risking a few hundred pounds more and taking it to the Ombudsman. 

My advice to the Virgin Media Community would be to take it to a third party if you are not happy with their offer. In my case, they phrased the offer onto a cliff edge where there is no other route alongside a penalty (account closure) for not accepting it there and then. If you can afford to challenge it then do so. Corporations get away with a lot of foul play (take a look at the reviews), I'm thinking of the people that couldn't afford to lose and will have to accept whatever they say.   

Also, I'm very sure of myself that I didn't extend the contract. I only want the contract closed and the money paid since the expected closure of the account is to be refunded though this wasn't accepted. 

All the best,

Frazer. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The "ombudsman" here is CISAS.  Make sure you read and understand the customer guidance notes.  They'll review your case and decide on its merits and propose a resolution, if you accept that it is binding upon VM.  On most recent data, about 82% of cases taken to CISAS are either immediately settled by VM, or or CISAS find in the customer's favour, so odds are in your favour, although no guarantees other than an impartial process.

In terms of risking a few hundred quid, why?  CISAS is free for customers.  There are fees, these are always paid by the company, regardless of outcome.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FrazerG

I'm sorry to hear that we were unable to come to an agreement to resolve your complaint. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

FrazerG
On our wavelength

Hi Carley, 

Thank you for the message.

I'm waiting on the management to send the Dead Lock letter. 

I was expecting a call last week from the manager of the gent who should have ended my contract in mid December. I've been requesting the recorded call that was made on that date. Is this something that you could look into.

P.S I don't want to do this behind a private wall where possible. 

I look forward to hearing back, 

All the best,

Frazer. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi FrazerG

Thank you for updating the thread.

I am sorry that we were not able to come to an agreement on a suitable resolution to your complaint but I would like to reassure you that the next steps discussed within our private message are being actioned.

If you wish to submit a Data Access request, please pop me a private message with the details of what you are seeking and we can look into getting this arranged for you. 

Thank you

Nat

FrazerG
On our wavelength

Hi willwd, 

I emailed the director of Virgin Media and was handed down to an executive team member who could quickly see my issue. They then ceased the contract and refunded my payments made post-contract. The service once you get passed the wall of meat and bureaucracy wasn't too bad, just a pain that you even have to get past that. 

The email I sent to was Lutz Schueler, I won't put the email in here though it is easy enough to find. 

I am writing to complain about due process and how I have been placed into a contract without consent.

I had a similar issue to you too. A cancelled contract that ran on and I noticed it a few months later.  

Hello FrazerG.

Thank you for your reply and helpful information.

We are glad that you managed to get this resolved.

Gareth_L