Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New VM Sign In Box Is Buggy

I'm finding the new VM sign in box to be very buggy. It takes something like 25 - 30 attempts to successfully sign in to my VM account using Windows 10 Pro and it makes no difference whether I use Opera, Firefox or Edge.  It takes ages for the Sign In box to appear.  When it appears it can be completely unresponsive - the cursor will flash in the email address prompt box but it's impossible to type anything in.  Sometimes when the sign in box loads, it loads with the message 'We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again.'  Note that this message appears even though I have not typed anything in nor have I clicked Sign In!

VM ScreenUntitled.jpg

On those occasions when the Sign In box is responsive, even when I type in my CORRECT email address and password, the message comes up to say it's incorrect.  Bizarre! 

I usually use a VPN or DuckDuckGo - would that make any difference?

I had no problems with the old Sign In box except that I had to enter my email address and password twice which was annoying - the first time it asked me to accept cookies, which I didn't want to do but it was impossible to log in otherwise so I had to accept cookies and sign in again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New VM Sign In Box Is Buggy

Out of curiosity:

• why would you use a VPN to access webmail?
  • how do you use DuckDuckGo to access webmail?

is the issue occurring on all device or just some?

Have you scanned the device for malware?

What happens if you access webmail in a private / incognito window with / without VPN?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi 用心棒

Using a VPN gives enhanced security so it makes sense to use it 100% of the time.

When I use DuckDuckGo, it’s as an extension to Firefox.

I only use a PC desktop.

I have antivirus and also regularly run CCleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Advanced System Care, AML Registy Cleaner etc.  Spybot S&D only ever finds minor problems (with a green bar).

I’ve tried using Edge without VPN, it’s no different – VM can still take ages to sign in to.  The problem seems to be with the new Sign In box – hopefully VM will sort out the bugs.

Sometimes I get the Sorry, Try Again screen (see below).  That is often a good omen as the next attempt is often successful.

Sorry Try Again.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

What happens if you access webmail in a private / incognito window with / without VPN?

Did the issue occur when using yout web browser's private / incognito mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi 用心棒

Just a few moments ago, using Edge WITHOUT VPN, trying to sign in to my Virgin Media account, I get the screen shown below.  The Sign In box is completely unresponsive, I can’t type anything into it – it’s dead.  You will note that it says ‘not syncing’ in the top right corner.

The Sign In box actually appeared straight away on this occasion – but I can’t type anything into it.

At other times, the Sign In box takes ages to appear.  When it does appear, it often says that the email address or password are wrong (even though I’ve not typed anything in at all).

Sometimes, the cursor in the email address box does flash but I can’t type anything in.  Sometimes I can type something in but a message comes up to say that it’s not responding and it hangs.

Sometimes I can click on Sign In but it says that I am using the wrong email address or password (even though these are correct).

Sometimes I am able to proceed a bit further and get to the ‘Sorry try again’ screen.

And, wow! sometimes I can actually sign in to my account!

Using VPN gives similar results.

Not Syncing.jpg

Above: a completely dead Sign In box.  Note that it says 'not syncing' in the top right corner.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you just try accessing webmail with the VPN disabled and using  a private browsing windows (press Ctrl + Shift + N) in Edge; it is important to do this so we both have a similar point of reference to troubleshoot from.

BTW: I suspect the issue is specific to your environment because I am unaware of any similar reports on the forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi 用心棒

Sorry for the time taken to respond.  I’ve been trying out your suggestion using private browsing to see if it is consistently any better.  I have concluded that this is a marginally better experience.  Sometimes I get the ‘not syncing’ and assorted error messages but not as often as before.  The only problem with it is that I get confronted with silly CAPTCHA ‘puzzles’ both before AND after entering my email address and password.  I always find these annoying – buses, crosswalks, hills, fire hydrants and the like.  It takes umpteen goes on these twice over to get into my account – the pictures are deliberately fuzzy to make it difficult to tell what’s there, they’re American so it’s difficult to tell whether it’s a bus or a lorry, and with the traffic lights you’re never certain whether you’re supposed to include the surrounds and poles.

Logging into my Virgin Media account used to be hassle free.  I suppose that if not enough people complain VM won’t bother sorting out the problems.

Thank you for your help.  At least using private browsing means that I have less of the ‘not responding’ screens: two types included below (I only get these with VM), ‘Confirm Form Resubmission’ screen (note: there’s an error code on this one), ‘Cannot Contact re CAPTCHA’ etc, etc.

Not Responding Type 1 040720.jpg

Not Responding Type 2 040720.jpg

Confirm Form Resubmission 040720.jpg

Cannot Contact Re CAPTCHA.jpg