cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home - destination question

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi

I'm going to be moving soon but staying local. I have fibre broadband only and want to have that installed at the new address (a second floor rented flat (housing association)). Apparently, it is available but isn't currently installed in the new flat - there only appears to be a telephone socket. What would be involved with installing the fibre broadband, and can I overlap the service at my current address and the new one? I don't want to be without an internet connection and I need to do the move home over a few weeks or so.

Thanks

40 REPLIES 40

Louise515
On our wavelength

Who can I speak to at VM so that I can _explain_ (not just make selections from a menu) what I want and what is there now (the old NTL box) and that it is likely 30 years old and probably not good enough (and may not even be working/connected), so what would I need to do to be certain of getting a reliable high speed connection installed?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Wait for the VM forum team to reply here to your queries and hopefully they can go through this with you via PM.

It should be an easy 'save' for them to stop you going to BT as you appear to already have all the requirements in place to get re-connected to VM.

Louise515
On our wavelength

I guess they won't be around until Monday? I will have to move home before the end of the month - another reason I gave in to EE/BT as they could do it quickly... I already had their hub delivered and I can't be without an internet connection - the thought literally fills me with dread and panic. I would have to cancel BT within the next few days else I'll be tied in for 24 months

Louise515
On our wavelength

From what Lee_R said in his private message I'd have to get a preinstall visit but I could only get that if I placed an order, and at the time I felt it would all take too long. That was two weeks ago... I don't know what to do now. Looks like my (rational) fear of being disconnected will come to fruition if I cancel the EE/BT connection.

Hi Louise515

I can see you have been speaking to my colleague Lee via private message regarding this.

If you could please respond to him directly there, he can assist further.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi

Well Lee basically sad I had to put an order in first in order to find out anything about what could be done at the flat. Whereas BT said they could fit a reasonable internet connection via the existing phone lines. That's why I went with them - I needed certainty. I have to move in the next 3 weeks and can't be without an internet connection. So it looks like I'm stuck with BT now.

If you need to discuss this further with Lee, do respond via your PM thread @Louise515 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Well I just posted what @Lee_R had told me - not very helpful when I'm looking for some clarity and certainty. It doesn't matter now - as I said, I'll have to go with BT now.

Louise

The information we have is that the address is serviceable and I note Lee advised speaking to our movers' team for a pre-installation visit.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Louise515
On our wavelength

It's not clear to me what 'serviceable' means? I suppose it doesn't mean 'yes we can come and connect you to high speed internet tomorrow!' More like 'In principle we can connect you but there may be complications and unforeseen costs, and it might take many weeks'