cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved House - put on new contract without consent

yuchengan
Joining in

Hi all,

I moved home recently and transferred my existing contract from my old flat to my new one. No changes to price and package. I was told when I gave notice to transfer my contract that my current contract will end in July 2022, and that the transfer/move will not affect the end of the minimum period.

However, I received a statement not long after saying that I have been placed on a new contract with effect from my moving date for a further 18 months (minimum period ending Oct 2023), where the price will go up from £24 per month to £47 per month after July 2022.

I called Virgin Media customer service and spoke to two agents who informed that the 'new contract' was a glitch. My contract would end in July 2022 after which I am free to go. I was informed that the 'package change' charge in my itemised billing was in fact the residual amount on my old account to be added to my new account to tally up the bill (I was told the account number had to change because I moved but that did not mean that I was on a new contract). I was also informed that I am free to go, or stay with Virgin Media after July 2022 when my minimum period on my current contract ends by calling Virgin Media 30 days before end date.

That said, I still received communications from Virgin Media after the calls about my 'new broadband package'. Given the conflicting messages received and that I could not find anywhere in myvirginmedia account which clearly specify the details of my contract (end date, length, pricing etc) - please would someone advise how can I confirm that I am not on a new contract?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you move home and transfer your VM services, you are technically disconnecting & reconnecting, hence the new contract dates.

A manual adjustment is made to retain your existing package, and amend your contract dates - which can sometimes get missed.

If you wait around here a couple of days, one of the VM staff should pick this up - and can usually make the necessary amendments.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When you move home and transfer your VM services, you are technically disconnecting & reconnecting, hence the new contract dates.

A manual adjustment is made to retain your existing package, and amend your contract dates - which can sometimes get missed.

If you wait around here a couple of days, one of the VM staff should pick this up - and can usually make the necessary amendments.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @yuchengan, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you are having issues with your contract after moving to a new address.

I can certainly take a look at this for you. I'll need to pop you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thanks Nathan, apologies for the delay in reply.

I replied to your PM.

Hi there @yuchengan, thanks for chatting with me via PM.

I'm glad I was able to clear this up for you, please let us know if you need any further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hello,

Can someone from VM help me with this issue please as I am in the same boat! 

I started a contract for broadband only in June 2021; this was an 18 month contract at £32 a month (a new customer welcome offer). Now we are in December 2022, this price is coming to an end so I have contacted VM via the WhatsApp service to cancel the contract, as I cannot afford the new price and can get a better deal elsewhere.

I have then been informed that I have 15 months remaining on my contract. How can this be when I started the contract in June 2021? I moved home, and therefore moved my broadband services in late September/early October 2022, so I can only assume that VM have put me onto a new contract when I moved home - which I did not agree to, and did not change my package. You have extended my contract without my consent. I should have been on an 18 month contract at £32 a month from June 2021. Yet now the price has increased and I would like to cancel, I am being told I can't as I have 15 months remaining?

Can someone please respond and help me with this as I did not agree to this. 

Hi there @hpritchard, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see there has been some confusion with your contract term after moving. I will be happy to take a look at this further for you to find out why this has happened.

So I can do this I will send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan