cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money Grabbing Cancellation Policy When Moving Home

sc489
On our wavelength

I just informed Virgin Media to cancel my broadband and phone service (off contract) due to moving house 2 weeks hence. I only leaned the move date yesterday after exchange of contracts yet VM insist on giving 30 days notice so I will be charged for period when I have no service. What a money grabbing policy! No other utility service applies such a lock in period for a house move,

I'm pleased to see the back of Virgin Media with their excessive charges and useless customer service.

12 REPLIES 12

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

What, you agreed when you took out a VM contract to terms that are quite clear that you have to give 30 days notice, and you then think it "money grabbing" when the company stick to the terms?   

You've just agreed to a very complex contract of sale for property.  Will you be complaining in a few years time that something you've just signed for in blood doesn't meet with your approval and shouldn't apply because you think it unfair?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sc489,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm very sorry to hear that you're unhappy about our 30 day cancellation process.

As @Andrew-G advised, this 30 day cancellation policy is written into our customer contracts. You can view this on our Legal page for more information.

Just like with most service providers, a cancellation notice is needed when ending services with us. Apologies if you're unhappy about this. 

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just for Information from /virgin-media-o2-ends-charges-for-off-net-home-movers/ 

On the plus side, it was only last week that VM changed it's policy on home moves to actually benefit customers, so that customers moving to a home not connected to its broadband network will be able to leave without paying an early disconnection fee.

If not moving home and still in contract however the EDF will still apply.

The Early Disconnection Fee is separate from the 30 days cancellation notice and had previously been capped at £240.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sc489, whatever you do, don't take VM to your new property.

Even if you don't change your services, they lock you into an 18 month contract, without your permission.

sc489
On our wavelength

I have no intention of dealing with VM ever again! Fortunately the house I'm moving has broadband and phone at half the price albeit at a slower broadband speed but I don't mind that.

sc489
On our wavelength

Other utilities do not levy such a charge do they so why should broadband suppliers do so? This is a sharp practice which OFGEN should stamp out.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sc489,

Thank you for coming back to us about your situation. We're very sorry to hear that you'll be moving away from us. Unfortunately, if you are moving to another provider within your contracted period, you may incur Early Disconnection Fees

As a communications company, we are regulated by OFCOM, who have reviewed our policies.

If you're unhappy about the charges, you can raise a complaint with us via our website: Make a Complaint

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sc489 

OFGEN don't deal with broadband or TV/Phone. They deal with energy and energy suppliers (Office of Gas and Electricity Markets)

I'm pretty sure you meant OFCOM, but at present they are pretty useless  and haven't got sharp enough teeth.

Best wishes with your new provider, and good luck in your new home.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

pateldjp
Joining in

I  called Virgin Media in early June so say I was moving in early July to an area that VM do not serve. I was told to get in touch when I'd moved with proof of new house purchase and a new council tax bill and i would be charged to the move date and no early connection fee would be charged when they had reviewed the documents. I called in July to be NOW TOLD I'D BE CHARGED to the middle of August and that 30 days notice would be needed. Absolute disgrace when I called in ealry June to clarify with VM what was needed to leave and only be charged to the move date. I've now moved and paying close to £100 for services at a house I've moved out of. Bloody disgraceful. The rep said I had been told the wrong information.... Why is that now my fault at my expense?