cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M350 broadband only - £73 for existing customers, £38.99 for new customers (£56 thereafter)

jeyoung
On our wavelength

Where is the logic in that?

I got the price rise email and tried to downgrade my service from M350 MaxIt to M350 broadband-only.

The offer I'm given, as an existing customer, is £73 a month just for broadband. A new customer pays £38.99 a month for 18 months (the actual length of an existing customer contract), then £56 a month after that.

I don't get it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jeyoung 

It certainly looks like the agent has made a mistake, I suggest calling again.

M350 broadband on it's own (https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only )

• £38.99 a month for 18 months (New customers)
  • £56 a month thereafter. Prices may change.( Out of contract price before the new price rise)

You should have been able to negotiate something in between those two figures.

The M500 and 1Gig broadband are only priced at £62 per month.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

cje85
Trouble shooter

Something isn't right there. Existing customers can have 500Mb or Gig1 for £62 (both the same price) so there's no way 350Mb should be £73. Was it the offshore call centre that gave you this price? 

jeyoung
On our wavelength

That was from the retention team in the UK. The lady looked up deals and said that was the best she could find.

Needless to say that I am very very disappointed and will be looking at other service providers.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jeyoung 

It certainly looks like the agent has made a mistake, I suggest calling again.

M350 broadband on it's own (https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only )

• £38.99 a month for 18 months (New customers)
  • £56 a month thereafter. Prices may change.( Out of contract price before the new price rise)

You should have been able to negotiate something in between those two figures.

The M500 and 1Gig broadband are only priced at £62 per month.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jeyoung
On our wavelength

What she said sounded very wrong to me. Although historically Virgin Media pricing favours new customers, I was shocked by what she was offering as the best deal.

I will call them again tomorrow and see if their position has changed. If not, they're forcing me to cancel my account.

Thanks for getting back to us @jeyoung

Please do let us know how things go.  Please remember, the best time to call is usually as close to 8:00am as conveniently possible.

Regards

Lee_R

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jeyoung wrote:

What she said sounded very wrong to me. Although historically Virgin Media pricing favours new customers, I was shocked by what she was offering as the best deal.

I will call them again tomorrow and see if their position has changed. If not, they're forcing me to cancel my account.

Similar (daft) VM scenario was described last week here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Why-can-t-I-change-to-a-Broadband-o...

OP resolved at #8 by repeatedly contacting VM until he got someone who knew what they were doing and was able to authorise an acceptable price change (seemingly quite a difficult task in the case of VM). Certainly looks like first line call handlers are limited in their abilities to make changes and offer suitable, or even sensible-sounding, pricing (presumably in the hope the customer gives up with trying to renew at a better price and just keeps paying the old price).

jeyoung
On our wavelength

Hello again.

There is a positive outcome. Your colleague Nathalie helped me get a discount that allows me to keep the same bundle.

To be honest, I still don't 'get' the pricing of Virgin Media. According to Nathalie, the simple explanation is, the larger the bundle, the larger the potential discount. So in this case, had I chosen only Broadband, I would have received a reasonable discount for a limited time and thereafter would be charged the same price that I am paying now for Broadband, Phone, and TV. But because I decided to keep all services, she was able to apply a bigger discount. I suppose this logic will continue to confuse customers.

So, thanks to everyone who has offered advice and has encouraged me to get in touch with VM again. I must say that it is a good feeling to see loyalty being rewarded.

Cheers.

Thanks for getting back to us @jeyoung and thanks for confirming you achieved a resolution.

Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R