Menu
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lockdown: switching suppliers ruled out

Forum members extol the power we customers have to switch if we don’t like the service at Virgin

While trying to negotiate a new price for my services (200mb, maxit, talkweekend 46£) following the 4£ Increase letter we received. I was told by Virgin customer services this morning that switching was impossible now since no new Openreach installations for broadband are possible- earliest is March (maybe) and highly constrained by Covid

Switching providers is ruled out until further notice 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lockdown: switching suppliers ruled out

Hello

Certainly I have not seen anything in the press regarding new contracts with Openreach providers I would believe that would be down to the individual supplier I don't see how VM can comment on what OpenReach can or cannot do. Vm do not have any contact or use any of the OpenReach system.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

that sounds like just another line of BS a VM person has thought up to make you stay - the only way to find out is to ring the 'openreach' isp of your choice and ask - VM cannot possibly know what is or is not happening with other providers

Tony
0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Here is the text, Virgin are giving me the impression that they know what they are talking about 

“Openreach has announced they’ll be taking a new approach to broadband installations, during the new national lockdown.New orders on ultrafast products (FTTP, Gfast & SOGfast) will see their orders be pushed back to March 1st and beyond as Openreach scales back it’s operating capacity.
Openreach are hoping to work largely as normal in terms of most processes, and repairs will continue (although only visiting a customer premise where needed for a total loss of service).As a reminder, all major broadband providers also use the Openreach network (this includes BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone), and their FTTP network currently covers around 4 million UK homes.
A few e...”   the text ended like this for some incompetent reason ?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i think thats a lift from a press release from openreach - i still say its an agent trying it on - the isp - sky or whoever install their own services - openreach would only be involved if there was no line to the premises afaik - so if you or any potential customer has a BT line installed then its nothing to do with openreach - again afaik

if you want to leave make the call to the isp of your choice and see what they say - only they know - VM are quoting what suits them and thats not the whole truth maybe 

Tony
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looks like it was lifted from here:

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/how-will-the-coronavirus-affect-my-broadband-installation/ 

If there is an existing serviceable Openreach drop line to the property you could probably switch without issues. Installations of new drop lines is likely to be suspended.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

as I have been arguing on another thread

an Inflation busting 9% increase during a national lockdown with no obvious way to switch providers is counter to licensing agreements between Virgin and ofcom/govt 

we are ‘locked in’ by Virgin and they are turning on their money tap

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@machineghost wrote:

as I have been arguing on another thread

an Inflation busting 9% increase during a national lockdown with no obvious way to switch providers is counter to licensing agreements between Virgin and ofcom/govt 

we are ‘locked in’ by Virgin and they are turning on their money tap

have you rung any of the other providers - VM or their agents can quote what they want - that does not make it true - as to 9% i would not be happy with that as you are not but its better than my 13% rise - but as i have argued then accepted that [or should that be ] my increase is against what i pay rather than the actual package price 

Tony
0 Kudos