cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it right that I have to give 30 days notice to cancel even when out of contract?

crazyjeyesy
On our wavelength

This is ridiculous. The email I got when I passed my first year contract end (and went onto a higher tariff) says, "If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 01/06/2021 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay."

That to me looks like nothing to pay... but I'm still having to pay a fee because I'm not giving 30 days notice (so I guess it's not an early termination fee as I'm not in contract - clever bit of wording there Virgin).

In the small print of the email there is nothing about 30 days notice and a fee if not, so I feel like I've been conned. How on earth can Virgin get away with this? For all the shoddy broadband I've had in recent times, Virgin should be COMPENSATING me, not charging extra when I leave.

52 REPLIES 52

By the way, virgin will triple your price at the end of your contract and force you to pay it until you give 30 days cancellation notice plus for 30 more days.

Hi @alex7777777

All discounts on a package are listed on the contract along with their end dates, they are also listed on every monthly bill. This allows you to see when your price will change and how much by. 

You can call us 30 days before your contact date end to arrange a cancellation to take place the day the contract ends.

Can I call you 31 days before or 180 days before the contract ends? Why 30 days only? Why not any other number? Why so restricted? Why rip off so called customers?

Regards,

Alex

@alex7777777 wrote:

Can I call you 31 days before or 180 days before the contract ends? Why 30 days only? Why not any other number? Why so restricted? Why rip off so called customers?

Regards,

Alex

You don’t, legally it’s a minimum of 30 days, up to, well the upper limit isn’t legally defined but, I suspect that 60 days is not unreasonable, and Courts do like the idea of reasonableness!

Now, in the interest of being a ‘nice’ person, may I give a bit of advice to all the forum team members on here? Legally, as VM employees and employed in a position whereby a ‘reasonable person’* might well interpreted what you say as being official VM policy, be very careful what you post! Something along the lines of a statement which might well be interpreted as meaning ‘you must give exactly 30 days notice’ can easily be regarding, as VM as a company attempting to deliberately deny customers of their rights. Now ask yourself this, if, unlikely as it might be, VM find themselves on the wrong side of a law suit because of something you posted, would the company absolutely back you up; or hang you out to dry? “Oh, this was rogue employee who has now been sacked….., lessons have been learnt……’. No, of course not, VM will back their ‘loyal’ employees to the hilt, and in the event of them giving bad advice will, of course, put their hands up and admit to poor training along with a promise to do better….., yeah!

You know, just a thought……

* oh and believe you me, Statue Law is replete with that phrasing and Courts really like it.

Hi All 👋

Just to be clear - you need to give us 30 days notice when cancelling your services. You can give us up to 60 days notice in total,however we are unable to process this beyond 60 days. Sincerest apologies if you ever call on the phone, and an agent advises otherwise. 

Just a friendly reminder, that here on the forum we are here to offer support and advice, rather than debating company policies. If you have feedback or a complaint you would like to formally register please do so here 👉https://virg.in/makacomp or let one of the forum team know and we can help to raise this for you via PM. 

You can find all of the information regarding our cancellation processes here;

-In the section titled 'how to check your virgin media contract information' here 👉 Information about your Virgin Media contract

-In this article regarding cancellation 👉 How to cancel Virgin Media broadband & TV

-In our Terms and conditions 👉 https://virg.in/legals

-In the information about Early Disconnection Fees here 👉 virg.in/EDF

Hope this helps. Wishing you all the best 🌞

Molly

Well, that's simply not true. I tried to give 57 days notice out of courtesy, but was told that I had to pay an early termination fee. Here iis part of a long chat with an agent on the 22nd of May:-

Jade

- 17:55

I apologize, I just want to make sure to provide all possible options to save you.

based on your account that you are still on the contract Mike, you have still 1 month and 27 days left on the contract that ended on 18/07/2023.

As your account is still within contract, an early termination fee will be applied from the disconnection date until the end of your contract. The EDF charge is £22.90 for your SERVICES.

You

- 17:57

But I am NOT asking for early termination so why bring this up?

Jade

- 17:59

I just want you to inform Mike if we book the 30 days notice today there will be an Early termination fee that will be added on your final bill.

You

- 18:00

No - I am giving you longer notice as a matter of courtesy

Jade

- 18:02

Yes I understand that Mike we can book your notice for 57 days however if we book today your notice there will be an Early termination fee for £22.90 as you choose to leave early within your contract. Would that be okay with you?

You

- 18:02

No

Hello msun,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

It looks like the agent got there wires crossed.

I can take a look at the account for you to clear up any confusion?

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your Logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Virgin is trying to wriggle out of a straight answer, court case is required to straighten them out properly.

So Virgin, where does it say in your terms and conditions, what is the maximum and minimum cancellation notice period? Why are you blaming 'agents'? Who else is to blame?

What are the methods of giving a cancellation notice, why only on the phone? Why are you wasting hours and hours of peoples time on the phone?

Answer is plain and obvious, you are simply stealing money, Virgin.

Sorry if you think we aren't giving a straight answer @alex7777777  😔 I can see that @Molly_T gave a link to our terms and conditions here earlier in this thread.

The following regarding the notice period is stated 'If you choose to end your agreement you can do so on 30 days’ notice but if this is during your minimum period then you may need to pay an early disconnection fee, please see above.'

I hope this clears this up for you. If you need anything further, please let us know. We're always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Why dont you provide contract cancellation from Virgin Media customers online account? Do you believe that OFCOM is a toothless thing and you can ignore and defraud so called virgin media customers and OFCOM? Do you feel invincible as virgin media gods?