Menu
DeeM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How do I get my problem resolved with such bad communication/cust service

Some context: Ive moved into my elderly grandmothers house temporarily whilst waiting to move into a new house. She has TV and telephone with Virgin already....

08/03/21 - I called Virgin sales to order a separate broadband line, rolling contract, 100mb line. NB/ Separate to the existing TV and Telephone service - New account - not an add on, no package.... - this was made abundantly clear to the sales rep who commented on how they'd need to split the existing account blah blah blah. I said, "Mate, do what you gotta do - i just want a separate broadband line with my name on the account as I'm only here temporarily" . I was given an install date of 23/03/21.

11/03/21 - Received text msg to confirm that external work would need to be done before the install could happen.

18/03/21 -  Received a text msg saying they needed to do some extra work and this would mean the install date would be moved to 05/04/21. No idea how they knew this because at this point no-one had been to the property to assess it. 

22/03/21 - Avonline assessment of property, two engineers came. Very short conversation about what I had ordered. Not sure why they didn't have the details given that the sales team would/should have had the info at point of sale and passed this on.

23/03/21 - Avonline engineers came put new cables in. 

24/03/21 - Engineers came to "clean up cables". Later that day it became apparent that my Elderly grandmothers TV and Phone line was down. I called the tech team and spoke to someone called Dipenak at 6pm. His customer service was aggressive and unapologetic. He told me that my service was still running and that nothing had been cut off, despite my grandmothers phone being completely dead with no ring tone and her TV box flashing red and not starting up on multiple reboots.  However, an "emergency"  engineer was booked for the coming Saturday 27th.

26/03/21 - I called Virgin to lodge a complaint. Spoke to Sakib at 13:30. I explain what has happened up to this date. His customer service was absolutely terrible. Ive worked in customer service before and if i was to have conducted this call the way he did and then the call was  "call monitored" by my supervisor this would have been a failed call. I can only assume that they don't monitor their own calls for quality control as Sakib's customer service was atrocious . He had a poor grasp on the English language, he didn't take ownership of the problem, I'm not sure he understood what I was saying given his responses and to top it all off he said he was raising a complaint and would get someone to call me back within 4 hours. I received no phone call. It also turns out - he didn't raise complaint as there was no log of it when I called back over the coming days.

27/03/21 - An actual Virgin engineer arrived at 1pm (Andre). I explained TV box was not starting up and telephone was dead. He starting by dealing with the TV. He went and got a new TV box and looked at the connections outside. After assessing he advised that the old virgin line which carried the TV and phone had been cut unnecessarily (there was a brand new cable, which was for TV and broadband though). He got the TV connections working and made arrangements at the outside connection box so that a phone line could be rectified. He spoke to his manager and arranged for an emergency callout on the Monday to fix the phone line.

29/03/2021 - 3 Avonline engineers arrive at 9ish to fix the phone line. Again I have to explain everything!! They look at the connection box, pull some cables... I leave them to get on with sorting out the phone line because in the midst of this I'm working from home using my mobile data!! The engineers end up cutting my neighbors virgin connection off whilst looking at mine although they rectify this quickly but then tell me they are unable to fix my grandmothers phone line because the pipes in the ground are too narrow. They would need to book another set of engineers to come out and do that. I call virgin to add to my complaint. I speak to Rachel Sarajude at 1pm. This is where I find out that there is no existing complaint - Sakib, who i spoke to on the 26th, didn't do anything!! Rachel raises my complaint and gives me a complaint number - thus far, the only customer service advisor in the oversea call centers to be somewhat competent.

31/03/21 (today) - I check my emails to see whether I've received any messages from Virgin - I have - and its about my complaint. the email says something along the lines of --- "Here's what we agreed: Problem - Fault/installation, Resolution - Apology,   - Your complaint has been closed!! What the actual hell! I call virgin at 11:35 and get through to Shimari - I ask for her full name - she refuses to give it to me. I ask about the complaint - she assures me its still open. I ask her to update the complaint with the current info. I wont talk about Shimari's customer service because at this point anyone reading this should be aware that the overseas customer service is unacceptable at best - so its a given I wasn't happy with the lack of ownership, responsibility, and overall helpfulness. Shimari has no information on when the engineers are going to come and fix the phone line so she says she needs to transfer me and as a nice closing touch assures me that i wont need to repeat myself to the next advisor. Jayath or Jayth answers the phone at 11:55pm and low and behold, ive just been dropped into his call cue and have to explain everything again! Before he gets into any questions I ask to speak to a supervisor immediately. I have to give myself props here as most people would be absolutely fuming at this point but I calmly said to Jayth that I don't think he should have to deal with this call given the amount of crap that has transpired and it should now be escalated to a supervisor. He says, ok Mr McDonald I will see what i can do - ....... 55 mins later I'm still listening to hold music with not so much as a fart to let me know he's still there dealing with...something!!! I actually think he did that purposely with no intention of getting his supervisor.  I hang up, redial, and speak to Bharath at 13:05, I go through security again, I tell him the story again... He tells me that an engineer has been booked for the 7th of April to fix the phone line - another week my grandmother is without a phone. I ask Bharath to get me a call back from a supervisor - he tells me that they will call me back within 24hours. 

To say I'm disappointed with the service thus far is somewhat of an understatement. I don't have my broadband line and they've cut off my grandmothers phone. She's 87. Her GP calls her about appointments and medication, she needs to speak to family overseas, she needs to speak to her family in the Uk. She needs her phone line to arrange her life!! On the 7th of April she would have been without for 2 weeks!!

What I find quite funny is that, the taking your money part is dealt with by UK operators... Dealing with problems is dealt with by people where English isn't there 1st language. How does this make any sense at all?!?! At a time where problems need sorting customer service needs to be accountable, apologetic and helpful. Thus far the customer service and general service has been absolutely shocking and unacceptable. Ive had to raise a grievance with Ofcom (ref: 01224761). This isn't an open complaint but a logged incident which I felt I needed to report. If a company is not treating paying customers as we expect here in the UK, they need to be held accountable, - so I'm just doing my small part!!

When I do finally move into my new house, I'm gonna need broadband...  Hmmmm, who shall I pick!?!?!

0 Kudos
DeeM
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I get my problem resolved with such bad communication/cust service

If anyone has any help, in regards to the above, they can give - it would be greatly appreciated.

What level of compensation would you ask for?

Ive heard that there is a complaints team in Scotland - how does one get hold of them? Anyone know?

Is this normal? I feel as though Avonline need to take a lot of the responsibility too. Anyone dealt with them directly?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I get my problem resolved with such bad communication/cust service

Hi DeeM,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum.

I'd like to apologise for the problems that you've been having. I can completely understand your frustration, and I am sincerely sorry that our customer service team haven't met the standards that we would expect.

In order to discuss this issue with you, I'll just need to confirm some account details with you via private message. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of this page.

Thanks,

Laurie_C
Forum Team