cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had to take out o2 contract to reduce package price

Anne_VMForum
Tuning in

Having got a letter from Virgin Media yesterday telling me that yet again they are increasing my package cost by £12 a month, 20% rise (despite me thinking the current contract runs till November 23), I wearily called again to object and negotiate. The person I spoke to was very friendly but due to a combination of her accent, my partial deafness and a lot of background noise from her end, I had some difficulty hearing her. After about 45 minutes, during which time I'd almost lost the will to live, we agreed a new package which reduced my VM monthly cost to £46 BUT I had to take out a 1 year contract for an O2 SIM, at £6 a month. OK, so my package price has gone down overall but I don't need or want an O2 SIM as I'm already in a 2 year contract with EE for my mobile. But I was told I would have to do this to avoid the 20% hike. Anyone else had this experience? She also said I could transfer the SIM to someone else and I asked if I could change it to another name, she said Yes, but I actually don't think that's true as the contract is in my name. Is this mis-selling?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Think of it this way - you go into a supermarket wanting to buy 3 eggs. They're sold individually for £1 each, or there's a 6 pack for £2.

VM are currently promoting mobile bundles with O2, and loading them with multibuy discounts. Such that it's cheaper to have the O2 SIM than not - whether you have any use for it, is immaterial. I would also strongly recommend testing O2 performance before porting from EE, but that's a whole other story.

If the combined price for your O2 & VM package is one you're happy with, then smile sweetly and accept the O2 SIM. VM are making a commercial judgement to promote the "Volt" bundles which include it, if you genuinely don't want the SIM then you have to accept the price increase that goes with it.

I'm not sure about transferring the SIM, but need you do anything with it when it's delivered?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Think of it this way - you go into a supermarket wanting to buy 3 eggs. They're sold individually for £1 each, or there's a 6 pack for £2.

VM are currently promoting mobile bundles with O2, and loading them with multibuy discounts. Such that it's cheaper to have the O2 SIM than not - whether you have any use for it, is immaterial. I would also strongly recommend testing O2 performance before porting from EE, but that's a whole other story.

If the combined price for your O2 & VM package is one you're happy with, then smile sweetly and accept the O2 SIM. VM are making a commercial judgement to promote the "Volt" bundles which include it, if you genuinely don't want the SIM then you have to accept the price increase that goes with it.

I'm not sure about transferring the SIM, but need you do anything with it when it's delivered?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Anne_VMForum, thanks for posting on our help forum and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with your new package and price due to an O2 SIM being offered although your price has been reduced.

We'd like to advise when taking one of our Volt deals (our VM cable services combined with O2 mobile) you enjoy great benefits and discounts that would not be available to you without the O2 part of the deal.

In case you wish to cancel this SIM and plan we can do so within your cooling-off period, however we'd have to remove any Volt discounts and you could potentially end up with a deal that's more expensive than what you're paying now in total for both cable and mobile services.

You can freely have a member of your family to take over and use this SIM (as long as the rest of details on account such as address etc match), so you can benefit from the airtime plan we offer and take advantage of the free calls, texts and data coming with this £6pm airtime plan from O2.

This is rather our best way to get you a package you're happy with price-wise too, rather than mis-selling.

In case you're still not happy or feeling mis-sold and wish to cancel this you may do so (that's why there's a cooling-off period) if you call our cancellations at 0345 454 1111 where you may also discuss your alternative options.
We'd never want to force you to a bundle you don't want to be on and of course you have the right to change your mind.

Let us know if the above is of help and if you have more questions or concerns.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your reply. I was told I could transfer the SIM to someone else, nothing was said about them being at the same address! As I'm only 1 year into a 2 year EE contract I have no use for the O2 SIM, but I assume I can just not use it? It seems like a strange way of giving a discount but happy to accept it.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Anne_VMForum, thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear you're happy to keep this bundle with the O2 SIM as it's cheaper for you, you may as well not make use of the SIM if you prefer of course.

I'm sorry to hear we didn't clarify how you can transfer the SIM to someone else, please visit our link here where you'll find more details and info on our Volt bundles and benefits.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thought I might as well click on the link to get my O2 username. This was emailed to me on the 23rd March, and supposedly valid for 28 days. Today is 26th March and it said the link has expired. So even if I want to use the O2 SIM, I can't now!

My apologies that this is now expired @Anne_VMForum 

You will need to contact O2 directly for them to resend the link for you as we have no access at our side yet for the O2 service. 

You can contact O2 directly from any methods listed here

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley