cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email linked to parents account

Mike95
Joining in

My virgin media broadband account is registered with my old email but it turns out my old email is a secondary account to my parents and so linked to their own virgin media broadband. 

I’ve tried to set up the account with a different email only for it to tell me the account is already registered to the old email. Whenever I log in with my old email it takes me to my parents account. I have no access to my own account. 

Does anyone know how I can access my account or link it to another email or anything? 

I’ve tried looking but none of the solutions I’ve found here help. When calling I was told to expect a call back within 5 days but I can’t take calls at work. Half the website doesn’t work other and the half just takes me round in circles.

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM are no longer allowing new accounts to setup ISP email addresses.  That isn't quite the situation here as far as I can see, but the point is that the writing is on the wall for VM email accounts, and even for existing customers, VM are saying that email is not a core element of the package, although there are "no plans to discontinue the email service" (yet).  As customers churn out, the volume of existing email accounts will decline, sooner or later they will call time on the service - maybe a year or three yet, but it is inevitable.  So I'd suggest you bite the bullet and investigate alternatives - investigate services that bundle an email account with a domain name - for a tenner a year I've now got a personalised dot com email address. 

Worked example: Head over to Ionos

https://www.ionos.co.uk/domains/domain-names

Assuming that your full name is actually Mike N. Smithwig, search for the domain MNSmithwig.   At the moment of me writing, I'll wager both .com or .co.uk are both available at a quid for year one, and a tenner thereafter.  If need be consider less desirable domains like dot family and dot online.  Buy the domain, and it comes with a single included email account that you have to setup after you've bought it, I suggest as Mike. When you've configured your email client, you're now mike@mnsmithwig - and yours forever so long as you pony up the tenner a year to keep the domain live.  If you try for a surname without initials for your domain, then is pretty unlikely to work, since most of these have already gone to companies using their founder's names, and if you're unlucky enough to have a common initial and surname combination you might have to play around a bit to get something that works.  Worst case, change your name by deed poll to a set of random or special characters.  "Hello, I my name is [%^)&^*, the human formerly known as Mike N Smithwig"

The Ionos interface is a bit industrial for setting up the email account, I'm afraid, but if I can do it so can you.  You can of course pay a bit extra and setup a web site and have Ionos host it, or again for a few bob more add multiple email accounts, but for the purposes of creating a personalised domain and email account those aren't necessary.  So there you have it: Set yourself free from ISP email forever (don't forget to keep paying the £10 domain fee though!).  Helpful notes: As it's a new domain some corporate email systems will try classifying your mail as junk, this seems to wear off after a while and hasn't so far caused me any major problems; The passwords that Ionos require you to set when you create the domain and the email account are unusually long, so write them down carefully; The included email account "only" has 2 GB of storage - you can pay for more, or periodically delete stuff from the server, but unless you're emailing large files then you should be able to store around 10-20,000 emails in that volume (ten years of my Blueyonder emails, subject to deleting dross from time to time is only 1.5 GB).  Plenty of other domain registrars and domain+email services in the market, depends what you're after.

Or, if you don't want to pay, become Mike6875557875575@gmail.com

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI Mike95

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are not able to access your online account at this time. 

As the details are linked to your parents account we would need to arrange a transfer to yours. In order to do this, we would need you too call our team on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a Virgin landline.

Your parents will need to be present on the call as they will need to clear security and confirm they are happy for the details to be transferred over to your account. 

Please let us know how you get on.

Nat