cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract renewed without my consent

realh
Tuning in

I called to cancel my broadband/landline last week, and got confirmation by email. But after someone called to try to tempt me back, and I declined, they've unilaterally signed me up for another 18 months and downgraded my speed from 200M to 100M. I have some issues that make it very stressful for me to communicate on the phone, so I hope someone can resolve this for me here. I've already used the online complaint form, but I don't hold out much hope for that. This is what I posted:

I cancelled my broadband and home phone service last week, and received confirmation by email on 6 May. The following evening I received a call from a Virgin salesman who tried to get me to renew my contract at a reduced price. I told him repeatedly that I had already ordered an alternative service from Zen and I wanted to go ahead with the cancellation. I admitted that his offer of an upgrade to the latest router and 200M Oomph for £37.00 a month was tempting, but at no point did I agree to it. He told me that I didn't have to worry about cancelling my Zen order, because they would have to contact VM to transfer my number and VM would cancel the migration. I am not transferring my landline number, and had just told the salesman that, so I did not believe there would be any contact between Zen and VM. Therefore I told him I didn't trust him and hung up.

Today I have received an email saying I have a new 18 month contract for 100M Oomph, and there is no mention of a replacement router. My service has already been downgraded to 100M.

Please cancel my service altogether, as originally agreed. As my service has already been downgraded without my consent, and as a goodwill gesture for causing me stress, please also cancel my final payment. I certainly shouldn't have to pay the full amount, due to the downgrade.

3 REPLIES 3

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @realh,

We truly apologise that you experienced this with your cancellation. We can understand the frustration caused by this. We want to do our best to help regarding this. I have sent you a PM to further look into this for you. Please look out for the purple envelope on the top right hand corner and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

FrazerG
On our wavelength

This is what I'm going through at the moment. 

It appears to have happened to quite a few people. I called to Cancel in December 2021 and after a period of sickness (COVID) noticed a monthly bill coming out of my account. They had extended my contract by another 18 months. Not what my call was about at all as I had already signed a deal with a separate provider. 

I didn't receive a letter or email, I would have been on top of it sooner if I did. Lastly, you have to be careful with their resolutions when direct messaging, they will try to push you into a substandard offering and obfuscate the issue. You may as well take it to the Ombudsman at this stage, you will win it. 

They have to prove you accepted the contract, if they have the call recording and you were canceling you will be fine. I'm going through the process now.  It's worth recording your calls too when speaking to any company. 

All the best,

Frazer. 

My case worked out OK in the end. I did get PM'd as promised. I still had to confirm a few times that I wanted to cancel, then the service was terminated on the agreed date and I also received a small refund by cheque due to my broadband having been downgraded immediately after my first attempt at cancellation.