Menu
HorsforthChap
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Closing an old account

Hello,

There is an old Virgin Media (originally NTL!) account that I had when I lived with my parents. I left home some years back and the account is now used and paid for by my mum, though the account is still under my name. My mum is moving house, and is trying to cancel the account. She has the password associated with the account etc. She contacted your support today about closing the account. However, your agent told her the password was incorrect, so couldn't do anything. I assume it's the same password used to login to the virgin media account?

Anyway we need to close the account this month as they are leaving before the end of the month. Please can someone contact me to help arrange this.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Closing an old account

she can't cancel the account if its in your name.
you are the contact holder its our account.

you'll need to call in and cancel it
HorsforthChap
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just rang up now. Got through after a long wait and I think they initiated closing the account, but the call cut off after the agent went to talk to their colleague. I should get an email or something if they've initiated closing the account, right?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

not normally. The online account might tell you its pending disconnection but you may need to call back
HorsforthChap
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bah, another 40 minute wait 😞 Might leave it until the morning.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

best time is early morning Maybe the VM staff can check if the account is marked to cancel on here but they can gale about a week to reply
HorsforthChap
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help. I'll give them a ring first thing.

0 Kudos
HorsforthChap
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Second time now I've got through. The initial agent was really friendly and helpful. Transfers me and I end up waiting another 20 minutes only to hear someone pick up the phone and put it down. I heard it yesterday, but wasn't sure so didn't want to fire around accusations. I've initiated a complaint about the conduct of transferrals/cancellations, but would like to know what I can do to cancel as I can't seem to get through to the correct department, and it's less than 30 days before my parents move house.

0 Kudos
HorsforthChap
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just an update. Spent 3 and a half hours on web chat, but finally cancelled the account. Grace and Suraj on chat were very helpful and polite. Looks like web chat may be the way to go, but you have to be patient.

0 Kudos