cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling

Andy71seymour
Joining in

How hard is it to cancel services? Spoke to 4 different operators to explain what I want and had 4 different prices for same services the cheapest I have had.... well for £6 more I. An literally get everything the service offers,  new hub, 360 upgrade , sports, movies... the list goes on. How do the work there prices out. So to ring to cancel, nope your not getting thru. Cut off after an hour everytime , no one replies via WhatsApp, so what do you do, just cancel direct debit? (I'm out of contract btw)

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Andy71seymour 

The quickest method is by calling 150 from your VM landline, options 1,1,4 and 4 around 8am if possible when lines first open and are least busy.

If you don't want to be tied up on the phone you could also use WhatsApp on 0730 532 7112. This often takes 4-6 hours.

If writing send it by registered (signed for) post to 

Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Andy71seymour Do not cancel the direct debit - VM won't contact you, won't react, won't notice at any human level, but their automated systems will, and they will mark your credit history with a default (a stained credit history lingers for six years and can affect loans, credit cards, mortgages, energy supply, telecoms, car plans, even employment checks my throw up the default).  And VM will add late payment charges and farm it out to a debt collection outfit who will come knocking.

As per the advice from @newapollo you can cancel by donkey post (use recorded delivery), but also complain to Ofcom, and do it today.  They won't get involved in your complaint, but they monitor VM's performance on complaints and service standards, and by complaining you're helping add to the evidence that will hopefully result in a proper regulatory investigation, since difficulty cancelling is a repeated complaint round here (along with failure to properly process a cancellation request).  I'd suggest you comment in the Ofcom complaint that this fiasco around the supposedly simple business of closing an account is a particularly serious breach of Ofcom General Condition C1.8, which requires that cancelling a contract is quick, simple and easy.

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Andy71seymour, welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear of your difficulties cancelling with us via phone. We do aim to speak to all customers as quickly as possible. For best success try early in the morning as New Apollo has advised. Were you calling us from your VM landline or a mobile? 

There are several ways you can get in touch to cancel. 

The first would be via phone on 150 from a VM landline, or 0345 454 1111. You will want options 4 then 4 to speak to the retentions team to cancel. 

Alternatively, you can send us a text on +44753 305 1809 where you will be re-routed to an available agent as soon as possible. 

You can contact us via WhatsApp on +447305 327 112 where you will also be re-routed to an available agent asap. 

You can also write to us at Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. 

As Andrew has advised we would not recommend cancelling your direct debit as this can affect your credit rating if any payments are missed - however as a customer it is your prerogative to do so if you wish! You can manage your bills and make payments manually via your My Virgin Media account.  

Let us know how you get on and if you require further support. 

All the best!  

Molly

Been on the WhatsApp for 24 hours now absolute joke. Everytime i get connected they drop me within 8 mins if I don't reply. Hard to reply to messages when driving, so back to end of que. Speak to an advisor and soon as you ask to be put through to cancellations they cut you off. Send a letter to sunderland? I can drive round there in 5 mins...... cancel a contract... come on VM How hard can it be??? Again look after your current customers. HOW HARD CAN IT BE? Speak to them would the a good start ,

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may be able to drive to a VM office in 5 minutes, but if you want the least stressful method, then popping a first-class stamp and saving the fuel is probably the best bet.

Or use a post-office if you want the "signed for" recorded option which may give you added reassurance. The forum staff on here can't cancel contracts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks