cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation period rights - Virgin TV overcharged for 2/3 years!

joethornhill181
Tuning in

Hi, 

My grandma has TV, phone and broadband provided by Virgin Media after I reviewed all her outgoings I saw her Virgin Media had increased to a cost of £135 per month! I since contacted and asked for a deal to be made or I'd unfortunately have to cancel the services. As we were going through negotiations I was comparing the current to what was being offered by 2 different service representatives the advisor I thought was trying to get me to increase to 3 boxes from the 2 we currently have that are to V6 boxes which were installed by an engineer in excess of 2 years ago whilst slimming down the package to just 2 instead of 3 boxes. 

It then became apparent that Virgin managed to carry out the upgrading part by installing the 2 V6 boxes however failed to  carry out the slimming down part by taking the cost of a 3rd box off of the bill. I then said I was very unhappy at paying for a service that we haven't received, gave my notice of cancellation and asked how I could query. 

I then immediately got in touch with customer services where I received what's app communication and they have said because I've handed in my notification to cancel my services there's nothing more I can do and should have said before I cancelled. Am I no longer a customer during the notice period? What are my ACTUAL options (my services are still connected and I'm in the cancellation period). Is it right that I can't query my bill and request for a refund on services that haven't been received?

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @joethornhill181 

You can call back and stop the cancellation at any point before the 30 days notice is complete, however you (your grandma) will be placed back onto the original contract and price point. You will then be free to re-negotiate again, but if nothing offered iss suitable you would have to start the 30 day notice again.

VM's actual prices can vary on a day to day and call by call basis.  £135 is quite a lot and you are not obliged to take 3 boxes.

If you are happy with the price quoted then accept it as it may not be available again.  You have a 14 day distance selling window should you change your mind and wish to reject that offer and go back to your original pricing and package. However if you aren't happy with the initial discounted price offered then phone again.

Some advice regarding negotiating. Have a price point in mind before calling that is your limit and don't go above that.

When you do call back select option 4 (thinking of leaving) but it's best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

This should put you through to Retentions (thinking of leaving) however your call may be picked up first by a front line agent. If this happens be firm and say you want transferring to Retentions. 

Retentions are generally based in the UK and do far more than cancellations. They have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents should you wish to negotiate a new deal rather than just cancel. 

Before you do speak to them do a little of homework. See what prices other providers offer, and have those figures handy to use as a negotiating weapon..

Also check out the current VM prices and what's available on the following page <<< Here >>> 

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Am I able to get any reimbursement for them and the costs they've paid for the service they haven't received do you know? Thank you

Hey joethornhill181, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you wasn't aware there was a 3rd box.

However we wouldn't really be able to do anything on this I am afraid as its down the customers responsibility to cancel this box or let us know they didn't want this.

I am sorry about any stress or trouble this has caused.

I wish you well with your new provider. Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?