cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation Issues!!

sarahw3010
Tuning in

Hi There,

Can someone please help? I’m trying to give notice to cancel my contract but get the feeling  Virgin Media are deliberately making it difficult / impossible to cancel. 

I was called by an agent trying to get me to take out a new contract which I declined and asked to give 30 days notice but they refused to cancel my contract and when insisted I wanted to cancel they hung up on me.

I then tried to call the number on the cancellations page but was asked for letters from my password. When giving the correct response I was told the password was incorrect despite using the same password to log onto my account. 

I tried live chat but was presented with an endless loop of ‘technical issues’ taking me back to the start with no success. I was eventually contacted by an agent who had no interest in cancelling my package despite demanding that my package is cancelled… instead passing me to the movers department to transfer my package which I do not want to do.

I’ve also written a letter to the address provided on the cancellations page giving 30 days notice, but I have no way of confirming this has been received and acknowledged.

I will be reporting this to OFCOM, if this doesn’t get sorted quickly. Thanks in advance! 

14 REPLIES 14

steven123451
Joining in

Based on various posts on here and Redit it appears that Virgin Media may be in breach of their contractual obligations by preventing customers from cancelling their services. In the UK, contracts are binding agreements, and both parties must fulfil their obligations as outlined in the contract. Consumers in the UK have the right to cancel most contracts with businesses within 14 days of signing, without giving a reason. However, after this period, the cancellation terms stated in the contract apply.

If a business makes it excessively difficult or impossible for customers to cancel, they may be violating consumer protection laws. Customers experiencing such difficulties with Virgin Media can seek legal advice or assistance from relevant consumer protection organizations. In the UK, the ombudsman is an independent body that deals with disputes between customers and businesses, and its services are usually free of charge. However, before escalating to the ombudsman, customers must first go through Virgin Media's complaints procedure and receive a "deadlock letter" stating that the company is unable to resolve the issue. to make a coherent complaint to the Ombudsman, there are a few key tips to keep in mind:

1. Be clear and concise: Provide a brief summary of the issue you are experiencing with Virgin Media and the steps you have taken to try to resolve it. Avoid providing unnecessary detail or going off-topic, as this can make your complaint more difficult to understand.

2. Provide evidence: Include any relevant evidence you have to support your complaint, such as correspondence with Virgin Media or proof of payments made. This can help the Ombudsman understand the issue and make an informed decision.

3. Explain the impact: Be sure to explain how the issue has impacted you, such as any financial losses or emotional distress you have experienced as a result of Virgin Media's actions or inaction.

4. Be realistic: Keep in mind that the Ombudsman can only make decisions based on the evidence presented and the relevant laws and regulations. Be realistic in your expectations and avoid making unrealistic demands or requests.

If the ombudsman is unable to resolve the issue, customers may consider taking legal action in the Small Claims Court. To do this, customers need to submit a claim form with supporting evidence to the court. The court will notify Virgin Media of the claim, and the company will have an opportunity to respond. If Virgin Media agrees to pay the compensation requested, the matter will be resolved. If not, the court will schedule a hearing, and a judge will make a decision based on the evidence presented.

Although UK law does not specify provisions for billing companies for time and effort spent resolving issues caused by them, customers may be entitled to compensation or damages if they have incurred additional costs or losses due to the company's actions or inactions.

For instance, if Virgin Media failed to cancel a customer's contract and charged them for services not received, they may be eligible for a refund. In addition, if customers incurred expenses or lost income as a result of spending time resolving an issue caused by Virgin Media, they may also seek compensation for those losses.

It's important to note that there are fees associated with making a claim in the Small Claims Court, and it may be advisable to seek legal advice before pursuing this course of action. The Small Claims Court is part of the County Court system in the UK; the official website of Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service provides information on how to locate the appropriate County Court based on the customer's location.

To make a claim in the Small Claims Court, customers need to submit a claim form with supporting evidence to the court. The court will notify Virgin Media of the claim, and the company will have an opportunity to respond. If Virgin Media agrees to pay the compensation requested, the matter will be resolved. If not, the court will schedule a hearing, and a judge will make a decision based on the evidence presented.

The more customers complain and take action against a company like Virgin Media, the more likely it is that their concerns will be escalated and addressed. Making complaints to the Ombudsman and filing Small Claims Court claims can draw attention to the company's negative practices, potentially leading to further investigation and even changes to laws and regulations. For instance, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, companies in the UK can be fined up to 10% of their annual turnover for breaching consumer protection laws. By taking action against Virgin Media, customers can not only seek compensation for their losses but also potentially contribute to creating a more customer-friendly business environment.

Stronger together People!

Thank you for the advise.

I finally managed to cancel my service by writing to the Virgin HQ at Sunderland, and notifying them that I had given a copy of the letter to my solicitor

It  was actually 100% impossible to cancel on line or by telephone.

A customer service disgrace by any means.

A month later I had to stay at home all day, at their request, for an Engineer to arrive and pick up their equipment. And true to form no one arrived, wasting my time yet again.

Hi Ilyas,
I finally got away from Virgin by writing to the head office. Please note the apparent helpful hints you supplied are totally unhelpful, as Virgins system is designed to basically make people give up.

Hi @MURF1101 

Thanks for coming back to us.

I am sorry you feel this way as I can confirm it's most certainly not designed to do this but I am glad you've got everything sorted.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John_GS, that gave me a good laugh.

Obviously all the other folk and I just invent these issues.