cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird call

lyndaT1
On our wavelength

This morning my phone rang i answered nobody there so i put it down

then about 30 mins later a lady asked what i wanted [scratches head ] i said i didnt call you

then she starts shouting but your numbers on my call back [scratches head again] i told her it couldnt be my number is anonymous it does not show

she became very irate and slammed the phone down [by this time in stunned] hahahahaa

can anyone help

7 REPLIES 7

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello lyndaT1

Sorry to hear of the call and experience earlier today, we can understand the confusion.

What number were you called from? If you let us know we can check to see if it is a genuine Virgin Media number.

Rob

lyndaT1
On our wavelength

yes the number is

[REMOVED]

i know its in my area being [REMOVED]  it maybe a BT number when I got VM i decided to keep my BT number.

but decided to have it anon.

Lyndia

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@lyndaT1 wrote:

This morning my phone rang i answered nobody there so i put it down

then about 30 mins later a lady asked what i wanted [scratches head ] i said i didnt call you

then she starts shouting but your numbers on my call back [scratches head again] i told her it couldnt be my number is anonymous it does not show

she became very irate and slammed the phone down [by this time in stunned] hahahahaa

can anyone help

It sounds like your number has been used as a fake caller ID during a scam call (where the scammers use actual/real numbers belonging to innocent parties as their fake caller ID). The person who received the scam call has called back the number on her caller ID and got through to you. It is mentioned on here occasionally.

The scammers normally swap their fake caller ID quite frequently so, hopefully, any further call backs should stop in due course.

lyndaT1
On our wavelength

what the H*** they can even use my number even though its anon

So basically when i answered this morning and no body replied and the put the phone down

the horrible little erks where cloning my number 

i dont know what to say my minds blown

cheeky little [bleep bleeps]

thanks for your help

You're welcome lyndaT1, let us know if you need us further or checks made 🙂

Rob

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@lyndaT1 wrote:

what the H*** they can even use my number even though its anon

So basically when i answered this morning and no body replied and the put the phone down

the horrible little erks where cloning my number 

i dont know what to say my minds blown

cheeky little [bleep bleeps]

thanks for your help

Quite possible. The scam phone call industry is big business. A sub-division of this 'industry' are groups who will 'try out' blocks of numbers on a particular exchange dialling code to find out which numbers are 'live'/working or not. Lists of real, working numbers are then sold on to scam callers to use as the basis of their scam calls.

They often will also use these lists as 'stolen' numbers for fake caller ID when placing scam calls to another number on the same exchange as it adds a level of authenticity and plausibility if the scam victim thinks they are being called by a local number. In reality they are being called from a scam call centre in another part of the world.

lyndaT1
On our wavelength

yes i watch programs on scamming when their on tv

how to identifiey them how to be prepared

i must say these programs have helped a lot esp the usual amazon and yes even VM telling me your going to

disconnect my internet because ive used it to much those as soon as they speak the phone goes down

i dont have a caller id on my phone so when someone calls me its usually someone i know

nd if i call say my brother whos phone does not allow anon numbers i have to put the 2 numbers in before my landline number

to get through

thanks for your help  very insightive indeed

lyndia