cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will VOIP always be used for a future phone line?

Alexceptional
Joining in

Hi,

I currently have broadband only with VM but may be interested in a phone line in the future.

From what I've read on other forum posts and elsewhere it appears that most new phone "lines" will use the VM hub phone ports (i.e. something similar to VOIP) instead of the copper landline that comes in alongside the coaxial line for the broadband/TV, though I've also read that is only happening in certain areas.

I do have a VM master socket in the house, however it is located in a somewhat inconvenient location in my house. If I were to use it for a phone line I would need to use an extension kit to add a box to the other room (or otherwise get VM to move it). Not impossible but an inconvenience.

I'd like some clarification on whether I would use the hub ports or the master socket for a future phone line, so I can plan in advance. Note that I use the hub in "modem mode" with a third-party router - not sure if that disables the VOIP ports.

Also, if the VM master socket is redundant, can it be removed?

Thanks,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes you are right all new installations for the phone line will be through the hub which is 21CV if your area is enabled by 2025 all old connections will be replaced by the phone through the internet connection by all providers, when you get an install you can ask for an engineer to come and he will fit a single extension for you, the use of modem mode will not affect the phone line connection to the hub that is what I have and my phone line is through hub upstairs and I use 2 cordless phones with the master one connected to hub and a extension to this downstairs.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes you are right all new installations for the phone line will be through the hub which is 21CV if your area is enabled by 2025 all old connections will be replaced by the phone through the internet connection by all providers, when you get an install you can ask for an engineer to come and he will fit a single extension for you, the use of modem mode will not affect the phone line connection to the hub that is what I have and my phone line is through hub upstairs and I use 2 cordless phones with the master one connected to hub and a extension to this downstairs.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the response,

You mention "all new installations" but also "if your area is enabled". Could you clarify what you mean there? Do you mean all new installs in an enabled area will be through the hub (otherwise if they're not, will they be through the old phone lines?), or do you mean that all new installs anywhere will be through the hub and any existing installs through copper will be migrated if the area is enabled?

Thanks!

Hello

To be clear if an area has already been enabled then all new installs of a phone line will be through the hub and existing installs of a phone line will be migrated at some time Virginmedia are planning to start this sometime this month.

If you currently only have broadband and do an upgrade to add a phone line then yes this would come through the hub in an enabled area.

Regards Mike

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Alexceptional

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm glad to see @DJ_Shadow1966 was able to advise you on this, thanks for all your help here. 

I've managed to locate your account from your profile information and I can see you're in a 21CV enabled area. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All areas are now 21CV enabled. All new installs & customers adding phone services are using it, plus house movers. There is also a staged migration in progress to move existing customers to 21CV.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993