cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have now had our landline switched to internet connection.

Bursar
Tuning in

Our hub is in the workroom upstairs, the phone is in the living area downstairs. Can I use the TP link plugs over the electric system to keep the phone downstairs? Alternatively is there another way we can keep our home phone downstairs without a long connection lead?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bursar, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with the new placement of your telephone line. 

As mentioned above, we can arrange an engineer to come out to fit an extension for you or alternatively you can get cordless phones. 

If you would like us to book an engineer then pop back here and let us know. We can confirm some details with you and arrange it then. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Tplink would not work, cordless phones generally are the easiest option

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Powerline plugs won't be able to connect the phone, unfortunately.

Either get VM to fit you a phone extension socket from the hub to downstairs (which they should do FOC as part of any planned switchover process).

Alternatively, get some cordless phones. Plug the cordless phone base station into the hub's phone socket and use the cordless satellite phones around the home as required.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bursar, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with the new placement of your telephone line. 

As mentioned above, we can arrange an engineer to come out to fit an extension for you or alternatively you can get cordless phones. 

If you would like us to book an engineer then pop back here and let us know. We can confirm some details with you and arrange it then. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath - we have two incoming connections one upstairs into the workroom with the wifi box and one downstairs into the lounge with the tivo box. is there any way we could connect the phone to the downstairs incomer?

Cheers. Will have a look at new phones.

Hi Kath
The other thing is do you know if there is an adaptor to allow us to reconnect our alarm panel into the phone system?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Bursar,

Thank you for coming back to us about your landline enquiry. If you have a security system that is connected through a phone system, please contact your security alarm provider to discuss this change with them to see what options are available. Unfortunately, we can only support our own equipment and do not have access to see if this will support the security alarm. 

Please keep us updated on how you get on and let us know if you need any further help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Tried that but, as I understand it, the system manufacturer pulled out of the UK following Brexit and I've had no response to my enquiries - yet. I think we have accepted that we will lose some of the bonus features of the system.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Bursar,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm sorry to hear about that. Please keep us updated on how you get on with your enquiries.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with in regards to your Virgin Media services - we'll be happy to help. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team