Menu
Rad1o
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media copper phone line active

We have gone back to VM and not had the router phone line before. From a previous installation we still have the "old" cable with coax and phone wires coming to the house.

Does anyone know hwther the old copper wires would still be live and active or have they all been disconnected in the exchange?

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media copper phone line active

Hi Rad1o,

Thanks for your post, it's great to have you back 🙂

If you have now been migrated over to the DOCIS service (landline plugged into your router) you will no longer be able to use the phone socket to receive a dial tone. It will be completely inactive.

Is there a reason for your asking? Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Beth

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

All new & return customers are now installed with the next generation 21CV hub based lines, making the old twisted pair POTS lines redundant. This is in preparation for the analogue exchanges being decommissioned.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rad1o
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can run digital services on old copper. All the CAT 5 and CAT 6 wires are still copper.

I have not heard of the policy to decommission analogue exchanges. What are BT and other phone customers doing if analogue phones are going to be decommisioned? Many ares still do not have fancy non virgin fibres in the ground.

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Rad1o wrote:

You can run digital services on old copper. All the CAT 5 and CAT 6 wires are still copper.

I have not heard of the policy to decommission analogue exchanges. What are BT and other phone customers doing if analogue phones are going to be decommisioned? Many ares still do not have fancy non virgin fibres in the ground.

The proposal is explained at the links below (VM refer to it as 21st Century Voice, BT as Digital Voice)

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

https://www.bt.com/about/all-ip

For those requiring just a landline phone and nothing else, AIUI they will receive a broadband router for the phone connection but with no internet services available from it, just phone.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Rad1o wrote:

I didn't say anything about them being copper. Most of Virgin's legacy network is HFC (hybrid fibre/copper coax). I am referring to the POTS twisted pair lines being redundant, as VM only ever used these for phone traffic, not Broadband.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Rad1o thanks for getting back to us.

You have been advised correctly by your fellow community members.  All telecommunications companies are looking to migrate 21CV style phone services.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos