Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Have Lost My Number

I left BT to become a Virgin customer in March when my number was ported over - which was vital.  My phone worked well until two weeks ago when it became impossible to make or receive calls.   An engineer came on Saturday but was unable to fix it.                                                     

He spoke to faults from his phone and was told that Virgin had lost my number.                

I was then told that it was down to me to contact BT and get them to re-instate my number so that Virgin could then re-port it.                                                                                               

What the..... ?     Has anybody else been told to do this ?                                                                 

Firstly - this sounds like nonsense.                                                                                         

Secondly - shouldn't Virgin faults be contacting BT ?                                              

Thirdly - why should BT re-connect my old number when I'm not even their customer ?

However, I gave it a go, and spent over two hours across two days on my mobile phone sitting in queues.   Eventually got through to the correct department.                                              

As expected BT were baffled by my request and were astonished that Virgin had sent their customer to a rival company instead of doing it themselves - apparently there is normal communication between the companies.   

So - since Saturday I have posted two complaints via the Virgin website. No response.                    I have posted twice on here  (this is Number 3.)   Both have disappeared.                                   Contacted the board moderator. No response.                                                                                 Sent a message via mobile.  No response.        

Virgin, WHAT do I have to do to get my phone fixed ?   Or even get a response from you ?       

NB:  If you have lost my number which has been with my family for 50 years and is known by hundreds of people on several continents - you will pay.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Lost My Number - Told To Contact BT.

I left BT to become a Virgin customer in March when my number was ported over - which was vital.  My phone worked well until two weeks ago when it became impossible to make or receive calls.       

An engineer came on Saturday but was unable to fix it.                                                     

He spoke to faults from his phone and was told that Virgin had lost my number.                               

I was then told that it was down to me to contact BT and get them to re-instate my number so that Virgin could then re-port it.                                                                                                           

What the..... ?     Has anybody else been told to do this ?                                                               

Firstly - this sounds like nonsense.                                                                                         

Secondly - shouldn't Virgin faults be contacting BT ?                                                                       

Thirdly - why should BT re-connect my old number when I'm not even their customer ?       

However, I gave it a go, and spent over two hours across two days on my mobile phone sitting in queues.   Eventually got through to the correct department.                                                             

As expected BT were baffled by my request and were astonished that Virgin had sent their customer to a rival company instead of doing it themselves - apparently there is normal communication between the companies.                                                                                         

So - since Saturday I have posted two complaints via the Virgin website = No response.                 

I have posted twice on here  (this is Number 3.)   Both have disappeared.                                   

Contacted the board moderator = No response.                                                                                 

Sent a message via mobile = no response.                                                                                       

Virgin - WHAT do I have to do to get my phone fixed ?   Or even get a response from you ?       

NB:  If you have lost my number which has been with my family for 50 years and is known by hundreds of people on several continents - you will pay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Have Lost My Number

Seems strange that VM should ask you to contact BT.

Technically yes, you rely on BT passing all your incoming calls from the local BT exchange (they still own the number & calls are therefore directed to them) onto Virgin’s network headend, where Virgin then send them on to you. Your outgoing calls don’t touch BT unless you are calling a number on one of their exchanges.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Have Lost My Number

That's interesting nodrogd.  

Thanks for responding.   More than Virgin have done.

Yes - BT also thought it was strange that Virgin had asked me to do their job.

As they explained to me - Virgin & BT faults talk to each other all the time through normal channels.

I think I was 'fobbed off' because they couldn't fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Lost My Number - Told To Contact BT.

Hi mayfly5,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry that you've been having some problems with your land line since it suddenly stopped working.

I'd like to clarify if you successfully transferred the number over to us in March from BT or has this never happened?

Did you provide the BT number to our sales team when you took out our services?

Was the number still active with BT and was there any disconnection order with them when you asked to transfer the number?

Please let us know and we can help further.

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Zak,

My number - [MOD EDIT: REMOVED] - was ported from BT in March this year.

It has worked perfectly ever since then - until two weeks ago when it failed.  

I provided my BT number to Virgin. 

BT confirmed that I was leaving them and my BT line became inactive and my account ceased.

Virgin is my only phone line.

I only came to Virgin after you confirmed I could keep my old BT number which is vital.

Now Virgin faults have told me that you have 'lost' the number !

That  number - [MOD EDIT: REMOVED] -- MUST be re-instated. 

It is fifty years old and people around the world have got it.

John Read

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello

For VM to be able to port the number the line must be active and there must be no cancellation on the line, this is in line with Ofcom rules, as the line porting process is what cancels the old line with BT.

If you told them to cancel then you have been given the right information.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

MULTIPLE THREADS MERGED

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me @mayfly5 

So under normal circumstances what @DJ_Shadow1966 says is correct. 

However the number port had been complete and someone along the line had made an error, we have now been able to resolve this and your number should be active again in the next 24 hours. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Zak.  I will try it this time tomorrow.

0 Kudos