cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP and multiple phones

Seffrid
Superfast

I have my main phone adjacent to my Hub which is fine, but I also have 2 extension phones in other rooms with wall sockets and I gather that will mean a technician's visit when my area is due to be switched over so that some rewiring can be done.

I've read the guide to VOIP, and it states:-

"Will my phone work if I turn off my WiFi?

Your home phone will not work if your Hub is switched off. However, if you switch the Hub to modem-only mode, your phone will work."

I currently have my Hub in router mode in order to connect to two PCs without the need for a separate router, but I have wi-fi disabled as I only use wired connections. What exactly does the above quote mean? My Hub will be switched on but in router mode with wi-fi disabled, will my phones still work or do I have to choose between enabling wi-fi in router mode or getting a separate router in modem mode to get the phones to work?

I have no problem with the present analogue system and won't be changing before I have to, is there any timetable for this change so that I can establish when it will be forced on me in GU14?

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

@Seffrid wrote:

I have my main phone adjacent to my Hub which is fine, but I also have 2 extension phones in other rooms with wall sockets and I gather that will mean a technician's visit when my area is due to be switched over so that some rewiring can be done.

I've read the guide to VOIP, and it states:-

"Will my phone work if I turn off my WiFi?

Your home phone will not work if your Hub is switched off. However, if you switch the Hub to modem-only mode, your phone will work."

I currently have my Hub in router mode in order to connect to two PCs without the need for a separate router, but I have wi-fi disabled as I only use wired connections. What exactly does the above quote mean? My Hub will be switched on but in router mode with wi-fi disabled, will my phones still work or do I have to choose between enabling wi-fi in router mode or getting a separate router in modem mode to get the phones to work?

I have no problem with the present analogue system and won't be changing before I have to, is there any timetable for this change so that I can establish when it will be forced on me in GU14?

No this is all fine, your situation is slightly unusual in that you have the hub in router mode (which is fine), but have the WiFi disabled, which as far as the phones are concerned is irrelevant. Usually customers either have the hub in router mode with WiFi or in modem mode. All you would need to do is when the time comes, connect your phone directly to the hub and it will work. The issue is when the customer has a number of extensions or the current location of the phone is nowhere near the hub.

Thanks @jem101.

As I stated, I do have a couple of extensions which have wall sockets and which presumably a technician can rewire as necessary. I ask that because of your final sentence.

The reason I have the Hub in router mode is because my old router was bottlenecking my speed and I sought advice here on a suitable replacement only for the experts to suggest I simply switched to router mode. As a gamer I need wired connections for performance stability and with no other devices beyond the two desktop PCs wi-fi is superfluous.

Hello Seffrid, thank you for reaching out, I hope you are well?

Okay, as jem101 mentioned you should be okay to use it as you are.

But with being some extensions and that this could make it a little bit more tricky. 

I do understand with you being a gamer you need it like this, all I can suggested is pop back when its due to be done and we can look at getting a tech down to assist you. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?