Menu
gbe
Joining in
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switchover cable removal?

Hi

Yes, the sockets in various rooms of the house and all the cables and plastic box housing the cables on the outside walls.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @gbe,

We would advise against destroying/removing any of the installation, including the Omni box outside of the property.

If this is damaged and affects your services, there would be a £99 call out charge for an engineer to come and correct this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you are having a tech visit to switch your phone to the hub, then the hub will be wired to your current master socket, which in turn operates your current extensions. The only cable that becomes redundant is the phone cable from the master socket to the omnibox. The incoming phone cable is bonded to the Broadband/TV coax, so cannot be removed.

As stated, the move to 21CV hub based lines is the first stage of moving to full VoIP. The next stage, which will be coordinated with BT, will be the switch off of all analogue telephone exchanges & migration to internet servers. All telephone exchanges will be decommissioned by the end of 2025. Any vulnerable customers can have an EBUL fitted that will enable calls to emergency services via the mobile phone networks.

OFCOM has removed any onus on providers for a full VoIP backup system due to the logistical problems of maintaining backup power to thousands of street cabinets all over the country, & the proliferation of mobile services that are now available.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks