Menu
KHussain
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rang Virgin Media Customer Support - they charged me £22.50 - but I have anytime calls?

got it working finally, did the usual, switch off, loosen and then tighten cables, and switch on ... and wait ... eventually came back .

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rang Virgin Media Customer Support - they charged me £22.50 - but I have anytime calls?

Hi KHussain,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

In taking a look at the backend of your service, it seems that part of the problem may still lie with your usage of the wireless connection. Our systems are indicating a busy wifi network, which is likely to cause delays and timeouts as data requests have to queue to be processed. Are there any other devices you could connect via ethernet to reduce the strain? 

I can see from your other thread that all connections drop at the same time, so I don't anticipate the wifi issues being the sole cause, although it may help to improve things in general. I can't see any evidence of your hub frequently losing connection to our network, so this doesn't appear to be the cause of your trouble. Do the lights on your hub change when your connection drops?

The BQM images you shared on your other thread do show significant packet loss and latency spikes but I haven't been able to identify any clear reason for this. Local usage levels are within acceptable thresholds and I certainly wouldn't expect to see the connection issues which are being reported. All other network stats are also within spec so there's nothing jumping out at me as the obvious underlying cause.

It looks like you were sent a new hub a few weeks ago to see if this improved things, but it doesn't seem to have been activated and swapped over at all. Have you tried using the new hub? If not, would you like me to swap this over for you on our end so you can test it? It's certainly worth ruling out the equipment as the issue and it's a simple change to make.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
KHussain
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Dear Rachael

Thank you for looking at this issue.

We have the following on the wifi network (as you will see from my other post, we have spent quite a lot of money wiring our house).  The Hub3 is on the Ground Floor

I am listing everything out (even where there are duplicates)

1. Google 3rd Gen Nest Thermostat - Downstairs (5g) Ground Floor

2. Google 3rd Gen Net Thermostat - Upstairs (5g) (1st Floor)

3. Apple Ipad - Son 1(5g) (1st Floor)

4 Apple Ipad - Son 2 (5g) (1st Floor) - Over Christmas, I purchased an adaptor for Son 2 ipad to allow usage over the wired network - his wifi connection kept failing - so now detach from the WiFi network while we test, it seems to be working well - so this may be ignored soon).

5. Samsung Galaxy Tab3 - Wife (5g) (2nd Floor)  - Not really used as no signal on 2nd floor - we are trying to source an adaptor to have a wired connection)

6. Android Mobile phone - Son 1 (5g) (1st Floor)

7. Android Mobile phone - Wife (5g) (Ground Floor)

8. Android Mobile phone - Mine (2g) (1st Floor)

9. Bosch Tumble Dryer (5g) (Ground Floor)

I am installing new cables over the holiday to allow my wife's office computer to come off the wifi.  Bearing in mind the damage, we may as well install cables into the kitchen area.  The cables are screened Cat6 cables sufficient for external usage.  I mention this as the first engineer visit said the failure was because we attached the router to the wired network using a Cat5 patch cable to a Cat6 screened cable network.  So, we had to disconnect the router to the wired network - allowing only wifi connections - but the whole thing failed the next day.   So, I made up my own Cat 6 patch cable and am using it to the router.  No difference, repeated failures.

We do not have Netflix but do have Amazon prime.  This is attached via the wired network (but we generally have given up using it as the connection is so poor).  We are looking to see if we can download over the period of time, and watch off-line (an additional piece of infrastructure I will need to purchase to get back to where we were before Virgin).

We have a Sono system which is now disconnected and switched off - we cannot use it (I have no solution of how to get it working - except perhaps buy the Sono Boost system that takes it off the wifi - so another bit of kit I need to buy so I can use Virgin).

We also lived in a flat over the first lock-down (which is supplied by Community Fibre with a 500mb connection at 1/2 the price of Virgin), we have had little problem, 2 or 3 fails over the year which they fixed within the hour. In the house, we have historically had good connection with BT (67mb connection at approx. 2/3 the price charged by Virgin). Thus, I think, the total cost of using Virgin must include the additional infrastructure fitted to the house (which is easily in the £10k to £15k region).

This may not assist with fixing the problem .... but must explain some of our frustrations - we have tried our best.  

Finally, below is an example BQM image, one of my favourites.

image.png

0 Kudos
KHussain
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

With regard to the new hub, we waited to the engineer visit, but they suggested it would make no difference (as the problem lay with us attaching the router to the wired network), so it's still boxed.

0 Kudos
KHussain
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

LOL

So, it all just crashed on us just now ..... 

Got to check the heating system ... otherwise no heating in the house ....

I forgot to mention, I also got three CISCO access points and has cabling fitted to the ceilings in the hallways, but I have disconnected, as I am unsure of the installation.

0 Kudos
KHussain
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

here is the pic again.9578483ede93cba6fba5b5944c835d9e484e931d-03-12-2020_adjusted.png

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I can see you've got an engineer visit due next week. 

Please do try the new router, if only to rule it out and let us know how the visit goes

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
KHussain
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Just thought I would log it and provide info for diagnostic 

Crashed approx 1 hours ago.  Family having a meal, watching cartoon on Amazon Prime via wire network.

We just thought it was Amazon Prime that failed so, carried on watching on free-to-air programs (ie, using aerial on tv)

Just looked at mobile, no wifi ... so just reoobted router (simple off, wait 10 secs and the switch on) and all working now (so have been off line approx 1 hour).

Lights on router before reboot was just normal white light.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi KHussain,

Thank you for coming back to us, I have had a look our end and can see your router is currently on line with devices connected to the internet, if you are still having the same issue the technician will resolve this when he comes next week.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos