cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with transferring existing landline number when joining/leaving VM

pkw5
Joining in

It seems Virgin Media are hopeless at transferring an existing landline telephone number from the Openreach network to themselves and vice versa.

When I joined EE from VM 15 months ago there was a problem with VM ceasing and providing the number. This had to be chased on several occasions and in the end it was allocated onto both networks! Luckily EE rectified the problem.

I have now re-joined VM from EE and I have exactly the same problem again. My order clearly stated that I wanted to keep my existing landline number, but after waiting for a week, I had to chase VM and it hadnt even been actioned, apparently this is now with the "backend team", but EE still havent received the request, apparently this can take up to 14 days.

Unlike a mobile number port, which can be completed in a matter of a couple of days, ceasing and providing with VM is very hit and miss and a lengthly process. Why this should be in the 21st Century of telecommunications I do not know.

7 REPLIES 7

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi pkw5

Thanks for posting. Apologies for the landline porting issue. Landline porting can take upto 10 working days

Is the number still active with the old provider?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you John for replying.

Yes the number is still active with EE (as checked at 9 am Monday 12th).

It is frustrating as I requested for the number to be ported on the 23rd June with my VM order. The Broadband service has been active since the 30th June, nearly 2 weeks, and I will have to wait probably another 2 weeks before I can cancel my EE Service.

Hi pkw5,

Thank you for confirming, that's good news.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some account details and look into the port for you.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth

Beth 

I have just in contact with a member of staff via the website online messaging.

They have stated: "I checked the number porting request to transfer your home phone number to virgin media is already sent and it will be ported and active with virgin media on 19th July and will get automatically cancelled with EE".

There are still issues with VM Cease and Provide. If a customer asks for this service when placing an Broadband and Landline Telephone order, why isn't it being actioned by the correct department?

Thank again for your help on the problem.

Hi pkw5,

Did the team advise whether the request had been put through during the set up of your new account with us? I'm afraid that as you weren't able to go through security checks with me via PM, this isn't something I can confirm or check for you for data protection.

Number Ports can usually take up to 10 days to be processed, so even if the port was actioned during the account set up, in most cases customers will be given a temporary landline number until the desired number can be ported over and activated on our end.

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth

Beth

Not sure about that, I was just given a date, but it was definitely not actioned with the VM port team when I placed the order on the 23rd June as I was told this a week ago.

I was told by EE that my account with them has to be closed first, but I have read contrary information on cease and provide to VM.

If the number doesn't get transferred next Monday I'll leave it to Ofcom to chase.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Beth

Sorry to bother you again.

EE have contacted me with this email - 

My colleague explained to transfer the number, you would have to cancel your EE account and once cancelled, you can then ring Virgin and ask for the number to be picked up and applied to your Virgin account. This process needs to be done straight away as the number becomes free for anyone to pick up and take.

The only way for your number to be taken across is to cancel your EE account and then ring Virgin and request it.

You mentioned the 19th. If you wish to wait until then, you’re welcome to get in touch and we can cancel your EE account and request the number.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards, Natalie Cowan - EE Executive Customer Resolution Team

If you wouldn't mind looking into this for me now, I will supply information as required.