Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Possible Phone Scam

hi recieved an automated phone call from 01734685276 stating that there was illeagle activity on my internet account. then phone went dead and when i called back. All I got was the number unatanable tone, is this a scam

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible Phone Scam

Yes, it is a scam and it is wildly popular at the moment, along with similar email messages.  These frauds are often run on an industrial scale from Indian call centres, so if you make the mistake of speaking to them, there will be authentic sounding "call centre background noise", and "Kevin" or whoever the agent claims to be will be persuasive and

For future reference, NEVER ring back on the number a suspicious call came from or was provided in any message.

If the call is a recording that tells you some sob story along the lines "your internet is going to be disconnected in 24 hours due to problems with your account, press 1 to speak with our agents to correct your account data", then NEVER press 1. 

NEVER allow an incoming caller to "take you through our security checks".  Sometimes you'll miss out on whatever legitimate companies are trying to sell you, that's an acceptable outcome rather than exposing yourself to identity theft or other forms of fraud.

And NEVER believe anybody phoning you up to tell you that they are from BT, Microsoft etc and that your computer has a virus, and if you give them remote control of your computer they'll fix it.

If you're in doubt about any threat to disconnect you, or claims of "suspicious activity on your account", then the best approach is to phone VM (or the company concerned) from a mobile or different landline to the one the call came in on, using a number that you know to be that company's, not one provided by the incoming call or email.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I got this call just a few minutes ago, from a Manchester number.  I just put the phone down.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Another two calls today, from different numbers - very annoying!
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Any call I get like that I just hang up...I've had numerous call and yes they are scam calls....don't worry about it..but NEVER call back......if by any chance it WAS Virgin Media then they would call you again or you could call them and ask if your account is ok....don't worry about it..

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm in two minds whether to buy one of those call barring machines...they are about £100  but have about 10,000 known scam numbers that they block...and if you got one slip through you just add it to the list.

0 Kudos