cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number and broadband from TalkTalk to VM

ibsanb123
Tuning in

I am due to change landline and broadband to VM from TalkTalk on 18th Nov when my contract with TalkTalk ends. I have informed TT that i am ending my contract with them as they require 30 days notice. TT told me to check that a port request had been sent to them before instalation. Reading these post I am confused as to if I should have cancelled my TalkTalk contract or if it will automatically rum until VM take over the service. I am especially worrird about keeping my landline number. Can you advise me please.

9 REPLIES 9

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ibsanb123 thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome!

So what you should be doing, is allowing TalkTalk (TT) to let your landline number run until your Virgin Media services are due to be installed.

So to start with, did you tell TT that you wanted to keep your landline number and port this over, when you handed in your notice period to them?

As an example if this was the opposite and you were leaving us to go to TT, you'd need to firstly sign up with TT and inform them of your number port request, then proceed to disconnect with us.

If you have disconnected (or put your notice in) with TT before signing up with us, then this may lead to issues - please let us know though and we can advise and guide you further.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I called TT last night 19th Oct. I told them I was having having VM fitted on 14th Nov and they said I would get contract cancellation fees if they ported number then as my contract ends on 18th. I have now changed my install date to 18th but am confused if TT will stop providing line and WiFi then or will carry on providing and charging utill asked to port number. What should I do?

Hi @ibsanb123 thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, the contract disconnection fees would've applied by the sounds of it but only very minimal as you were only 4 days before this.

However, if you've extended the installation date on our side, but not spoken to Talk Talk to inform them of us this then you might find your services terminate on the 14th with them, and be left 4 days without service altogether.

It's unclear from your message if you've informed TT of your new date with us, but if not I'd advise informing them and they can ensure there's no hiccups here.

If there's been a number port requested, the landline number will be held from your provider until we take this over. This can sometimes mean (in very rare circumstances) that if there's any issues installing services on our side, you might be charged from TT for a landline only service solely to keep the number active until we take this over.

Always here if you need further help so please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further queries.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom

I will inform TT of the new date, thank you. I was told today when I spoke to the person that changed my install date, that a port request would not be put in until you installed your line. TT however seemed to think you would send this prior to the changeover date, which sound like what you would expect too, that a request be held and the line transfered after. Can you tell me when this port request will be made so that I know what to tell TalkTalk. 

Hi ibsanb123

Thanks for coming back to the thread

Sure I can find out for you via PM

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @ibsanb123

If you click on my profile and also the 'good folk to know section' you'll see I am a Virgin Media employee. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

@ibsanb123 wrote:

Hi Tom

I will inform TT of the new date, thank you. I was told today when I spoke to the person that changed my install date, that a port request would not be put in until you installed your line. TT however seemed to think you would send this prior to the changeover date, which sound like what you would expect too, that a request be held and the line transfered after. Can you tell me when this port request will be made so that I know what to tell TalkTalk. 

If you have called TT and cancelled your contract with them, then it is most likely that the number port will fail, probably neither VM nor TT will tell you this (it's all fairly automated) but what will happen is that TT will terminate and you will simply have a new number from VM, you will lose your old number and it is somewhat unlikely that you will get it back!

The reason for this is an OFCOM regulation, a number port can only happen from a live connection and only if THERE IS NO PENDING CEASE (disconnection) order against it, if you have already cancelled the TT contract (even if you haven't given them a date) then it is likely that the cease notice is pending on that line which will stop the number port.

Thanks. I will call to check but did tell TT that I wanted to port the number.

Hi @ibsanb123, thanks for getting back to us.

Thanks also, for confirming the steps you're going to take to ensure your number port goes through smoothly.  If you have any issues, please do get back to us. Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R