cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting home phone number

Littlerattie
Joining in

We had Virginmedia broadband and phone connected on 22 February. We were promised that the number would port and have phoned customer services every fortnight since. We are still waiting. Sky tell us that there’s no issue with them. This is so frustrating! How do I sort it?

7 REPLIES 7

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Littlerattie

Sorry to hear about th number not being ported 
I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again Littlerattie

Sorry to ask this 

The number you are bringing over, Is it still active with your old provider 

If it s not then sadly we are not able to bring this over 

Gareth_L

I am having exactly the same problem although on since the end of June. 

The number i want to bring over from EE (BT) is still live as I am paying £44 per month for it. I have been offered 4 port dates so far none of which have worked.

The funny thing is the number was originally owned by ntl who are now Virgin Media and it was transferred to BT then Plusnet then EE over a period of of about 18 years now i want it to go back to VM it seems far too difficult.

Can I say that given these falled port dates that VM are in breach of contract. Unfortunately after the second port failure i was two days outside my cooling off period so could not cancel without having to pay £200+ to end contract early. And believe me I am tempted to pay the money at times!

Oh and by the way the advice given on live chat to phone 175 to confirm my number has ported does n't work either. All i got was "oops you might like to try that number and try again". Perhaps the crib sheet in customer services needs to be updated - it seems this might not have worked for some time.

How are these problems escalated...

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PeterK1.

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm so sorry to hear you're still awaiting your number to be ported over, I appreciate how frustrating this must be and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I've managed to locate your account and I can see the number port request has been submitted for you, the last time you spoke with the team they advised you to wait a few days for this to occur is that correct? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Yes that is correct. They told me to wait until today - and my number hasn't ported (again). Just has happened on previous occasions on about 3rd July, 14th July and 28th July.

This number was released by ntl to BT in about 2002/2003 I think. According to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm it is actually owned by Virgin Media.

What do I have to do i cannot perpetually keep paying EE £44 per month just to stop me from losing a number that is used by banks, doctor, hospital, dentists, employers, family, friends etc, etc. Surely somebody somewhere knows what the problem is.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies about that @PeterK1

I'm going to send you a PM so we can look into things and get this sorted for you. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @matiushu,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having similar issues with porting.

We can understand the frustration this may have caused. As you already talking to our team via PM, I will flag this to them so you can get a response as soon as possible.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs