cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone socket

angiepangie79
Tuning in

I have one phone socket in my bedroom that no longer works. I would like to have the phone downstairs. Would an engineer be able to sort this out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@angiepangie79 wrote:

Tried the capacitor today and it didn't work 😢 there was no ring tone whatsoever.

Disappointing but not unexpected. You have at least tested the ringing capacitor issue in the diagnostic process.

Rather than pay VM the £25 for a phone extension socket, you could put that money towards some modern cordless phones. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use cordless handsets around the home as required.

If you had any further enthusiasm to persist with the Easicom phone, you could try one of the classic telephone forums for further technical advice. There may be some telephone tech experts on those with further suggestions to try. I'd be a bit doubtful of success though given its age and the fact that it is quite a specific/niche sort of device, matched to a particular period in telephone history!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @angiepangie79 thanks for your post here in the Community, welcome!

We can certainly arrange this - it's usually subject to a £25 technician charge so this would be applicable.

However, we are changing our landlines over to a 21CV network which means, that your landline is connected directly to your Hub - we'll communicate this to you closer to the time but for more info please see here.

Where is your Hub located, is this located downstairs because if so, it may save you the £25 charge when it comes to the switchover.

Many thanks

Tom_W

The hub is upstairs. I connected my Easicom 1000 phone to it but now cannot receive calls😡I don't want to change to a new phone as I love the Easicom. Why do I have to throw away a perfectly good phone.

Thank you for your reply angiepangie79. 

Is the problem only occurring with incoming calls? Are you able to call out without an issue?

Nat

Yes I can call out but not receive 👍

@angiepangie79 wrote:

Yes I can call out but not receive 👍

Bit confusing to work out what is going on in this topic.

Is it the case that you had a traditional telephone wall socket upstairs in a bedroom that has stopped working (dead line, no calls in/out)?

You have tried connecting your phone into the back of the hub but you can only make outgoing calls with this connection?

The traditional wall socket stopped working over a year ago. I called an engineer this January to fix it but he said they were getting rid of wall sockets in 2025. He fitted a new hub which costed me £25. He left before I tried my Easicom 1000 phone. I can ring out on it but not receive calls. I don't want to get rid of this phone if there is some kind of connection that I can buy to make it compatible. The internet was fitted upstairs because I was renting a room but now that I own the whole house I would like a connection downstairs.

@angiepangie79 wrote:

The traditional wall socket stopped working over a year ago. I called an engineer this January to fix it but he said they were getting rid of wall sockets in 2025. He fitted a new hub which costed me £25. He left before I tried my Easicom 1000 phone. I can ring out on it but not receive calls. I don't want to get rid of this phone if there is some kind of connection that I can buy to make it compatible. The internet was fitted upstairs because I was renting a room but now that I own the whole house I would like a connection downstairs.

When you dial in to your landline (from a mobile, say), does the phone show caller ID on screen for the incoming number but the phone makes no ringing noise?

If you pick up and answer the landline when you dial in (from a mobile, say) does the call connect but it is just the ringing from the Easicom 1000 is not present?

It does not show caller I.D. and it just cuts off. I can make outgoing calls though 

@angiepangie79 wrote:

It does not show caller I.D. and it just cuts off. I can make outgoing calls though 

What sort of age is the Easicom 1000 phone? Online manuals seem to suggest it is a late 1990's piece of equipment.

Did the VM tech check and test the line via the hub before he left, using his own corded phone?

Have you tried a different phone on the line to see if that works (borrowed from a friend, family member, neighbour etc.)?