cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Port (didn't happen)

marky9074
On our wavelength

Went online Tuesday. The very helpful engineer said 'you didn't port your number'.... hmmm yes I did.

Cannot see anywhere in any documentation a request to port, but certainly did when signing up. My account with another provider is active until the 1st June. Assume I hang around for someone to pick this up and act on it?

Just rung my old number and it is still active (ringing anyway), so hope the port can be done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carley,

I got a letter from PlusNet saying that my services would be transferred to my new provider today... and I just called my old number and it is working - so it seems the port did happen as originally requested......

My not so memorable phrase reminder has yet to arrive though.

Cheers,

Mark

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

jem101
Superstar

@marky9074 wrote:

Snip...

My account with another provider is active until the 1st June. Assume I hang around for someone to pick this up and act on it?

Just rung my old number and it is still active (ringing anyway), so hope the port can be done.

Does this mean that you have contacted your old provider and given them notice that you are leaving? If the answer is yes them I am afraid you have stopped the port from happening. As per OFCOM regulations a number port can only happen for a valid number and there absolutely must NOT be any sort of pending cancellation request on it. 

The only thing I can suggest is that you call your old provider and cancel the cancellation, even if it does mean paying them for another month or so. Once that is done, then VM might have a chance of successfully porting the number which will also cause the old line to be cancelled.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @marky9074, and I'm sorry to hear the number port was not completed as expected

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me and I'll be happy to look into this for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

marky9074
On our wavelength

Yes, I called yesterday and asked to leave (PlusNet) and my end date was the 1st June.

After messaging with David, I've since had an email from PlusNet stating that they are sorry to hear that I'm leaving, and that my new supplier takes over on the 24th.... I'm assuming then that David has worked some magic.....

Apparently not. I've also forgotten my not very memorable phrase and awaiting the letter of shame.... (Where the phrase is there in its entirety in plain text).

By the time that comes it will be too late anyway. I'm not that fussed, but would have been nice to have had the existing number as I asked for when apply.

On a positive note, happy with the promptness of the support since being a customer.

Thanks for your time @marky9074, and do feel free to come back to me once the letter arrives and I'll be happy to help where possible 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Had an interesting oddity today that I though I would share. Was checking the 'old' BT line to see if active, and noticed that I had an intermittent dial tone. Some time searching revealed that this is because I have messaged recorded with my old provider Plusnet... But I can't have, as I have an internal answerphone and this has been working for the last four years (or so)...

I checked the messages, and all of them were in the last month (since I signed up for Virgin and asked for the number port). Coincidence? Seems odd that the old providers call answering service magically turned itself on? Something weird has happened for sure.

Hi @marky9074

Do you know when your number port is suppose to be completed? Have you spoken to your old provided about this? 

We'll need to be able to pass account security to discuss this with you, whenever you receive your reminder letter please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate any concerns or questions you may have. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley,

I got a letter from PlusNet saying that my services would be transferred to my new provider today... and I just called my old number and it is working - so it seems the port did happen as originally requested......

My not so memorable phrase reminder has yet to arrive though.

Cheers,

Mark

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @marky9074,

Can you please tell me if you have asked PlusNet if the number is active? If so we can still request to port this over to us from here.

Please let me know.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide