Menu
--kyezer--
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nuisance calls about Virgin Broadband security breaches

Hello,

Over the last 3 days I've had around 30 calls from lots of different numbers - all landlines - claiming to be from Virgin Broadband about issues with my WIFI router.  On one of these calls I played along with the caller - they were attempting to get me to install some software on my laptop to 'fix the broadband router' issue.  I called them out as a scam and they hung up.  Despite me identifying their scam attempt they are still calling.  'They' are all people with Indian accents going by the names of Daniel, Mark, David, John, Andrew etc.  These are some of the numbers they are using - the area code 01793, 01582, 01162, 01255, 01903, 01463, 02392, 01978, 01788.

They claim there is a major security breach on the router.  They get you to look at the Event Viewer log on your laptop (which is normal to show 'issues') which is how they trick people into thinking there is an issue.  They then pass the call to a 'security consultant' who tries to get your IP address and get you to install a download from anydesk.com.  Basically they are trying to hack your device and steal personal data to commit fraud.

Anyway, the reason for this post - can I have a new landline number as I am getting seriously annoyed with these nuisance calls.

Thanks

P.S. I've reported it to Action Fraud, am registered with the TPS and have an Ex-Directory number already.

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Nuisance calls about Virgin Broadband security breaches

And you'd get the same problem if you changed your number. There are no new numbers and all of them have been recycled. This is a current plague affecting loads of people with spammers using auto-diallers to blocks of numbers they know to be VM linked (information o these blocks freely available on the web). There is nothing much anyone can do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

--kyezer--
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HowardML.  I think I'll go for the ultimate solution and unplug the phone.  Only a couple of genuine people actually calls us on it anyway! 👍

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@--kyezer-- wrote:

<snip>

Anyway, the reason for this post - can I have a new landline number as I am getting seriously annoyed with these nuisance calls.

Thanks

P.S. I've reported it to Action Fraud, am registered with the TPS and have an Ex-Directory number already.

Refer to this post below from yesterday for some additional information and options before deciding whether to change your number or not.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-Calls-I-Request-a-Change-of-Phone-Number/td...

A good outcome of changing your number might be that you are given one which has no unwelcome 'history' attached to it and it has languished in the pool of available numbers for a long time so that it has been demoted on the lists of numbers used by the auto-diallers. This might give you some temporary respite until the auto-diallers pick it up again.

A poor outcome would be if you are allocated a number which has been used by a business and has only been out of use for a minimal time before being reused. In that case, you would be not too much further forward than you are now with receiving unwanted/scam calls.

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing which of those two outcomes (or something in between) you are going to get. In the worst case, you would also have had to notify all of your contacts of the new number change without any great benefit.

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi --kyezer--,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out. I'm really sorry that you've been receiving nuisance scam calls, there does certainly seem to be a spate of these at the moment.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have much to add beyond what the rest of our community have already advised. Numbers are put back into our general pool following a certain length of time, meaning that most have already been used somewhere along the line. As these scam callers normally use number generators, they would likely come across your "new number" pretty quickly as well.

My mum always has fun with these kinds of calls and sees what kind of thing she can get them to do/say. Her favourite is to sound really sincere and load a youtube recording of the script they all follow, or tell them that she's just logging in then leave the phone on the side and walk away. It's not a solution, but it sure keeps her amused!!

I could also suggest registering with the TPS or setting up anonymous caller rejection, but if they're spoofing local numbers this wouldn't do much good either. If you don't use the landline much, disconnecting the handset as you've suggested may be the easiest way to put an end to these calls.

Thanks,

Rachael

--kyezer--
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rachael. I did go along with one of the calls, I had them on the phone for 20 mins up to the point they were asking for my IP address - and I kept giving them a random number, after a good few attempts they were getting a bit frustrated so I said "Hold on a second, I've just realised I gave you a load of bogus numbers and I'm scamming you now mate, lol" that made me chuckle.

Then today I get another, from Mark, to which I replied but your mates Luke, John, Peter, Paul, and Dave have already rung me, he hung up.
0 Kudos
Ayates1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I got one of these today... Let him blurb on about my router been hacked by someone in Liverpool, Russia, and Oxford!  When he finally asked me to sit in front of my laptop and get him some details., I called him out - I work in IT - he then proceeded to quiz me on IT things.. likes what does HTTP stand for then!..If I wasnt so busy at work, I would have carried on having a laugh with him... Trouble is for the unsuspecting, they sound very genuine.. and the phone number was 0151 (liverpool) not a regular Virgin Customer service number.. so bells rang straight away (after all it is nearly Christmas!)  Stay safe people...  

0 Kudos
BazSmith
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Seems like this is still going on.    Started receiving this spam calls yesterday .  We usually only get a couple of calls a week on our landline.....received 8 in the space of 4 hours yesterday.

Have registered with TPS, though they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot and Action Fraud...so that will probably just languish with them until the end of eternity.

Simple option would be to cancel landline (not sure if I need one tbh)  or block all unknown/withheld numbers.   Trouble is, we currently are receiving a lot of calls from  unknown numbers (due to dealing with recent death in the family) and certain family members are "ex-directory".

Only thing we can do currently is to turn off all voicemail/ answerphone services...so that the phone just rings out should they phone.  Hopefully they'll get the hint and give up soon.

Numbers that we have received calls from so far are

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The scam calls are generated automatically so, unfortunately, there won't be a real person to take any hints about stopping phoning you.

There is some evidence to suggest that letting the phone ring out unanswered may demote your number on the automated list from priority in dialling and the frequency of the calls might subside. Some users on the forum have reported this happening quickly. My own experience some time ago was that it took a period of months.

Filtering the calls with a device or phone which has screening features (as opposed to blocking individual numbers) is the only way to deal with the scam calls, whilst still having normal use of your landline.

0 Kudos