cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dialling tone on landline

rkiley
Dialled in

My landline is dead (no dialling tome).

I have unplugged the phone from the master socket -- and then plugged it back in.  But it has made no difference.

No idea when this fault occurred, but I only checked it as I realised I hadn't received any fake calls from Amazon/Bank/Virgin in the past 5 days or so.

Though I'd be  happy never to receive fake calls, I do want my landline to work.  Can someone help?

20 REPLIES 20

Hi Hayley, done all the above still nothing. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @HavencroftKev,

Did you see my last response sorry? There is a new Adapter on its way to you, once this has arrived let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Ahh perfect, thank you Hayley.  I will let you know how I get on once it arrives. 

And, the landline has stopped working again.  On my mobile I called the Service Status number  0800 561 0061- and it said "no known faults", which is what the My Virgin Media app also indicated.

But, the landline is dead. I have unplugged the phone from the master socket -- to no avail.

Last time I reported this, the problem "fixed itself" after about 48 hours.  Is that the strategy I need to follow now?  Why is not possible to simply report a fault through the app?

Hi rkiley,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you, there is currently an outage in your area effecting your phone line, there aren't currently any updates, our technician are working to resolve this ASAP.

Regards

Paul.

Thanks - though as of 08/50 on 19th July, there is still no dialling tone. Hopeless.

I have three questions:

a) What is the point of your service status checker?  This is still stating "we cant see any issues" https://www.virginmedia.com/support/help/service-status/address-identification/results but you have confirmed there is an outage.  Is the Service Checker actually doing anything?

b) I have had no landline for (at least) 18 hours -- maybe more - but I continue to pay handsomely for this.  At what point will you stop charging me for a service you are not providing?

c) Given that this is the second outage in under a week can you expedite plans to move my landline phone such that it uses the Superhub (and fibre, not copper wire)?

Hi rkiley,

Thank you for reaching back out, although there was a potential area issue showing yesterday this doesn't always effect everyone, this is now clear, if you still have an issue it sounds like it may be an isolated fault, once you have had a total,loss of service for over 48 hours this is when our Auto Compensation will kick in.

Is you phone plugged straight into the wall socket or is it in an extension?

Regards

Paul.

As of 12.01 on 19th July, still no service.  The phone is plugged directly into the wall socket.

Thank you, so I can arrange a technician I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

ian24a
Tuning in

My landline is down, so my alarm doesn't work, it dials in to monitoring station nightly. I suspect this will affect my house insurance.

An operative came yesterday to check it. He was very aggressive, telling me a landline was a waste of time, he hated them. They will start replacing them between 2023 and 2025. ( I pay money for it to work now.)

Any alternative my alarm company will charge me lots for a new digi modem. 

Eventually he checked the local boxes, and said the line was broken between the house and the box, probably in my next doors garden through which it runs.

He said he wouldnt return, but would message his supervisor to get somebody else to do it. I would be messaged by him and supervisor today.

Nothing ...

Z for customer service.