Menu
Eoliph
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No dial tone-workmen dug up road-coincidence?-how do I get help?

Landline was used for outgoing calls early yesterday afternoon. From mid-afternoon yesterday, I'm now getting a "crackly" noise instead of a dial tone. Tried ringing numbers (including 150) and after a little while I hear a recorded "Please hang up and try again later". Incoming calls get an engaged tone.

I've tried calling 0345 454 1111 and 0333 000 3101 and both times I go round the automated process and then while on hold I get kicked out.  I requested a text message with the direct link (as suggested by "the voice") but that's never arrived.

I am therefore unable to call VirginMedia from the landline to log a request for help. The website goes round and round in circles when trying to follow links - I'm logged in, but a diagnostic link takes me to a page where I have to sign in again (but that takes me to the main webpage - so I'm no longer in the diagnostic areas so can't get closer to "speaking" to a real person to find out if it's fixable at a distance).   Is there no "chat with a VM employee" option?  I have never experienced SO poor support from a company (and with the size of VM I expect MUCH better).

There are workmen in the street digging up pavements outside the house to lay new purple cable (I believe it to be new fibre) - is it possible they have made a negative impact? The status for this area says there are no problems, and I've tried unplugging the phone line from the wall socket and using a different phone.  Nothing I can do to improve the situation - I believe it will take an engineer - why on earth does it have to be so difficult (even allowing for Covid changes)????

0 Kudos
Eoliph
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dial tone-workmen dug up road-coincidence?-how do I get help?

Now been on hold on my mobile phone for more than 70 mins (with one piece of activity at 45 which transferred me to another team - so back of their queue??) - I've tried all the suggested "my end" tests - very likely an engineer visit needed - WHY is this so difficult to arrange?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Eoliph and welcome to our community.

We can see you have since been in touch with the team regarding this, how did this go?

Please let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Eoliph
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

Not good - I phoned (took 45 mins to get to speak to someone).  They tried to run tests from their end but could not contact my line so said a more technical team could do more extensive testing.  She transferred me but I gave up after another 30 mins in the queue listening to the horrible music.  As I stated, there has been physical digging outside the house for what I believe to be fibre cables and if it not related to that (and therefore needs an engineer to check the physical cable/connection outside the house) I will be very surprised.  I've tried a complete different phone in the wall socket in doors and it is the same - no dial tone, cannot make calls and incoming calls just get an engaged tone.  I am typing this on behalf of my 91 year old mother - she relies on the landline as her communication and social contact method.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No problem, I'll pop you over a private message so we can pass security and book this in.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Eoliph
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

How long should I expect to wait for the PM from you? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos