cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Virgin fibre phone system compatibility with old corded phone

Doll
Tuning in

My question is: what makes of corded telephones are 21CV compatible with new system? Virgin do not have a list and not

all phones are.

As a pointer, my old BT Duet phone would not 'ring' when plugged into modem with new system, but worked in every other way. I assumed this was a compatibility issue. Virgin technician could not help ( useless). I decided to plug the phone into an old ADSL adaptor, which has a phone connection built in, and then into the Virgin modem - it worked! So I do not need a new phone.

Does anyone know why this works? Will this help with other phones? For example, the Panasonic 'chat' rep said that no panasonic corded phones work with fibre systems. Is this true or could they work with an adaptor I wonder. 

Virgin change over has cost me a good deal of money as had to change alarm system over..at least the old phone works now! 

7 REPLIES 7

se1lad
Up to speed

The ADSL dongle has a ring capacitor inside it which enables older phones to work when connected via the hub.

I’ve done similar with an old phone and it has enabled it to ring when connected to a Hub 3, 4 or 5.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Doll.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.

Sorry to hear you had issues with your corded handset after the phone upgrade.

Great to hear you have found a fix.

We are aware of silent calls and are waiting on a firmware update to fix this.

We do have another post here that explains things clearer.

Gareth_L

Thank you Gareth

Do you think I was misinformed about corded Panasonic phone not working on fibre technology? Should they work do you think? ( I think the post you kindly directed me to implies they do?)

Thanks for this into - interesting! 

Hello Doll.

To be honest, The Panasonic Rep may have been swaying over to make you purchase a new handset. That's just my inkling though.

Gareth_L

You mean a 'newer' handset? I was trying to buy a new handset - one that had a corded phone and one additional portable handset. However, I am not sure that the rep on the chat line fully understood the question ......I do think Virgin need to put out more info to the public and to the phone manufacturers about the new system...I think Virgin may be ahed of the market here?

Sorry Doll.

I misread that part. 

I can certainly put your feedback forward to our Team.

Gareth_L