cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VOIP Phone setup

freddy6x6
Joining in

I originally had 2 telephone lines when I was with NTL 1 for landline and one for dial-up internet both of which were downstairs, over the years this has changed. I now have my main landline downstairs in the living room with a cordless extension in the kitchen and one upstairs on the landing so that I can answer the phone where ever I am. My router is in the study upstairs so am unable to plug my base station into it. Would I need an engineer visit to sort out the wiring needed to connect the phone downstairs. Having read so many post on the subject I am a little confused about it. Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@freddy6x6 wrote:

I originally had 2 telephone lines when I was with NTL 1 for landline and one for dial-up internet both of which were downstairs, over the years this has changed. I now have my main landline downstairs in the living room with a cordless extension in the kitchen and one upstairs on the landing so that I can answer the phone where ever I am. My router is in the study upstairs so am unable to plug my base station into it. Would I need an engineer visit to sort out the wiring needed to connect the phone downstairs. Having read so many post on the subject I am a little confused about it. Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.Thanks in advance. 

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@freddy6x6 wrote:

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Hi fraddy6x6,

Welcome to the Community Forums. Thank you for your first post.

We'll be happy to arrange an engineer visit for you so an extension can be installed for you.

This is something we can offer free of charge.

I'll pop you over a private message now so I can take some details and help you out.

Thanks

Beth

It's almost 24 hours since I received a PM from Beth G requesting some information but as yet I have received no further correspondance. My phone is due to change over on the 3rd April. cound someone please contact me as soon as you can to arrange an engineer visit. Thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @freddy6x6 

Thanks for your response

As soon as my colleague is back in they'll be back in touch to have this resolved for you, thanks for your patience with this 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have now received my adaptor but still no contact with regards to an engineer visit. Could someone from the forum team please contact me with regards to booking a visit to re- wire my home phone. Thanks

Hi @freddy6x6 thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear you've not had a response. I will send you a private message now. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R