Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Missing incoming calls

I seem to be not getting some (but not all) incoming calls. People tell me they rang but there was no answer. I call 1471 and their calls are not on there. I rang VM and they said try another phone, but it surely can't be the phone if there's no trace of the call on 1471?

I do get some incoming calls, and outgoing calls are fine.

Anyone got any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Missing incoming calls

Welcome to our Community Forum timbo42 and sorry to hear you're not receiving all incoming calls.

So we can help, we'll need more information from you.

For the calls that you cannot hear, are they Virgin Media owned numbers or non Virgin Media Numbers? Please try this site to see the provider. Are any of the numbers mobile numbers?

Are you able to try a different phone to test the calls and if you have more than one phone socket, can you try a different socket and get a number to call you (one where you couldn't hear previously)?

I've checked the switch for your connection and everything looks fine so the above information will help us pin point where the problem may be.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa

Thanks for reply

The calls I know I missed are not from Virgin Media, but both are from BT.

I have only one socket. I'm currently trying another old phone, but its hard to know if I'm not getting a call! It definitely works sometimes - I was talking to someone who failed to get through before to ring back and it worked. When I ring from my mobile it seems to work.

I'm trying to work out if its the phone or not - when people ring and don't connect, they don't reach my answerphone, it just rings out. There is no record of the call when I dial 1471 - if they had reached my socket but the phone didn't work, surely the exchange would register the call and 1471 would tell me the number and time of the call???

btw the socket plate is very loose, which is worrying!

Thanks again

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Cheers so much for popping back @timbo42

The socket plate won't be impacting any incoming calls but if you are concerned about the plate and are unable to lighten the screws, we can get a technician out to take a look. 

In regard to the incoming calls, it's a difficult one to diagnose at our end - especially if the calls are not even registered on 1471; it sounds like the calls are not routing correctly from the people who are calling you, rather than the other way around. 

Let us know how it goes with an alternative handset and see if you can chat with your friends who were having the issue and get them to test it a few times. 

Pop back with any updates and let us know. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Had the same last week. Now no dial tone or calls. Line dead. Appears to be this area 20/21.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

My unrecorded calls came from BT.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This seems to be happening to a lot of people! Fortunately, I can make outbound calls, and some inbound call get through. I get the impression the problem is deep inside the systems somewhere, rather than being with a particular line or handset.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi @timbo42

It certainly sounds like the issue is with the routing of the number to you; this would usually mean that the issue may be with the other provider (you mention they are all BT numbers who have had the issues calling you?)

It's not a known issue currently - we have checked for any area issues for your information and also checked for any wider issues impacting our lines and this is not something that is impacting our network as a whole.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @TWIZTWIZ

Welcome to our Forums and thanks so much for your first post - I am sorry to understand that you're having some issues with your landline at the moment. 

I have been able to locate your account from your forum details and can see that we have been contacted via an online account and a technician has been booked out for you. 

You can check your appointment time and date by logging into your online account here

I can confirm that this is not a known area issue for your region. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Katie,

Thanks, but this kind of leaves me in limbo - if the problems are due to some problem in the connections between BT and Virgin / me, how do I solve it? I'm not a BT customer, so I can't talk to BT direct, and if one of my callers talk to BT, then they are certain to claim that there's no problem with the BT network and the problem is with Virgin!

And if its a BT/Virgin connectivity problem, why isn't it affecting everyone rather than just me??

0 Kudos