cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline switch to IP

Wsm1981
Joining in

Hello all! New user, so excuse the long message. 

not sure if this question has been answered, but been told our phone lines are going digital, have no choice In matter. 

problem I am facing, the router is on the first floor, the handset is on the ground floor. Spoke to virgin who told me an engineer is coming, I should be getting a text. That was 48 hours ago. Still no text. 
Is there a charge for the engineer to come and resolve this for us ?

more worryingly I have home alarm attached to the landline, any idea how to get the alarm connected to the IP line?

thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Hi 

If you refer to my email with attachements (the first one I sent today) the connector does not surve its purpose when connected to the analouge telephone box, were the alarm wire is connected. This connector was given to us by the technichan who assured us it would work.  This issue was raised weeks ago, even in this thread, to which I was told Virgin will help. The Mesh network, has nothing to do with this, as It is connected directly to the router. 

Also I remember being told, I need to contact Virgin, once the switchover was complete to activate something on my line, but I cannot remember the name of that activation. Do you have any idea what that could be? 

Hey @Wsm1981,

The activation you have mentioned sounds like it could be the activation of the new phone system, this is automatic and you do not need to do anything it just remotely happens.

As stated our engineers will provide all equipment to make your services work with our equipment, any 3rd party equipment or services we cannot do much more for, the adaptor we have provide will work with our Hub and equipment, if there is still a fault as stated you would need to speak to the providers of the 3rd party equipment, ie the alarm company.

Joe

I didn't switch from analogue to digital because of the alarm company. I paid for a complete alarm system that was meant to work with Virgin's infrastructure. If Virgin decides to change the infrastructure, they should also be responsible for resolving the inconvenience caused. The fact that they provided an adapter to address this issue indicates that they are aware of it. Otherwise, they would have outright refused when the switch-over happened.

Now I'm left without a home alarm system due to a switch-over I didn't want.

Could someone please investigate this matter? I can't be the only one experiencing this issue!

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to me @Wsm1981,

As with other providers it is not just us changing the way our phone lines work, you can see more info regarding this in the reply by @nodrogd. As stated by myself previously we have provided the equipment that would work with our equipment and services, if this does not work you would just need to contact the alarm company.

Joe

Wsm1981
Joining in

I understand you want me to keep contacting the Alarm company, but please note the following:
The adapter handed over to me by the technician, I have attached an image of it in an earlier message, does not work with the landline. That is to say, when the adapter is connected to the old analogue box and has another wire running from it to the landline, the landline does not work.
What is the point of this connector then?
Can someone from Virgin please send me a DM as I need another technician to come back to my house to resolve this issue, especially considering another technician was the one who gave us this adapter, it’s not something we plucked from thin air.

Hi @Wsm1981 👋.

Thanks for getting back in touch. I would like to bring you into a private message so that we can discuss further and look into getting this resolved for you, please could you look out for the envelope on the top right of your browser, or if you are using a mobile device it will be located under your profile icon.

Many thanks.

Sabrina

Client62
Hero

VM have shot them self in the foot by quite falsely marketing the phone via Hub as VOIP.

For the domestic customer it is a 100% analogue telephone via Hub and if that telephone service is reconnected to the customers telephone wall sockets in place of exchange line, the customers telephones, intruder alarms, care lines & extra loud ringer bells will work. 

Come on VM it is a 2 wire connection from the centre pair of the Hub's RJ11 TEL 1 port to contacts 2 & 5 of the customers internal telephone wall sockets. 

Here is an educational diagram & a picture  ...

Client62_0-1677416660195.pngClient62_0-1676637507622.png