cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline porting

Toppy765
Tuning in

As a newbie to Virgin I’ve asked to port my old number from BT, but after 2 weeks of contract starting I haven’t heard anything from Virgin yet about a temporary number or the porting of my old number from BT. I’m having to keep the BT contract as my wife requires telephone contact with the NHS for ongoing health issues. How do I find out about the status of my phone porting request?

15 REPLIES 15

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Toppy765

Sorry to hear of the problems transferring your landline number over to your new Virgin Media account, we understand the confusion and you raising this via the forums.

Have you spoken to the team in regards to this? Was the request confirmed at the point of sale that we would arrange for the number to be brought over?

We can still help with this if the number is still active with the original provider, do you know if this is the case?

Rob

I haven’t spoken to the team yet. I tried calling and couldn’t figure out which option to pick to talk to someone about it.

I tried connecting the Virgin hub to the phone and there is a dialling tone but I get an “oops” message when I dial 174 to find out the telephone number as the guide suggests.

The number is still live with BT. I’ll have to cancel the contract if I can’t port the number as my wife needs to maintain contact with the NHS and we can’t afford to run two contracts.

Oh and the porting request was submitted at the point of sale. How would I know if it was confirmed?

I’ve checked all the comms and the transfer of the landline was couched in generic contract language indicating that it would take 10 days after contract start if it was requested. I did request it during the order process. But I’ve heard nothing from Virgin about it since the contract started and it’s well over 10 days.

It should be on the account Toppy765, when you say you're 'connecting the phone to the hub' is this using an adapter in the TEL 1 port?

Rob

Yup, as per guide, connecting the phone using the supplied cable to the top connection on the hub. I’ve looked on the account and it says I have a landline service but I can’t find any reference to a temporary telephone number or the porting of my old number. Can you tell me where to find such information on the account please?

Have you contacted the previous provider to see if the number remains active? If so, it is something we can help with 🙂

Please contact them and let us know 🙂

Rob

From the Virgin online guidance:

“How do I keep my telephone number?

When you order our home phone services, you’ll be asked if you want to keep your number. Once we’ve confirmed that we can move it, the next part depends on how your services are being installed.”

I was asked if I wanted to keep my number and I answered yes and provided the number. I’ve received no confirmation yet from Virgin, as indicated in the guidance above, that you can move the number. I see on my account that it refers to my telephone as ‘unknown’.

Thanks Toppy765, can you check with your previous provider to see if the number is still active and let us know? If it is this is something we can help arrange.

Rob