cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

Nickster
Joining in
  • Hi all, my landline has only worked very occasionaly for some time and I want to avoid engineers at the moment and I don't want to keep paying for a home phone I can't use. Is it possible to buy some sort of cable adapter that I can plug the home phone into the virgin hub and use it that way rather than using the landline by plugging it into the wall?
12 REPLIES 12

JoshWelby
Tuning in

Yes, you can put an adapter between the Hub Telephone Socket and your Telephone Plug

Try Ebay or Amazon

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Nickster,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm sorry to hear of your landline issues, you can plug your landline into your hub but you can only do this once home phone change over has been completed. I have checked on the system and your area is yet to be informed of the change over and I cannot see any updates as to when this is going to happen

If you were to plug the landline into your hub now, it simply wouldn't work.

I have refreshed your number on our network, please can you let me know, if that has made any difference.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. I  didn't know anything about a change over and what does that mean? You say you have refreshed my number, it seems to be working ok at the moment but if it starts playing up again I will let you know. I certainly don't want to keep paying for a landline phone that only works occasionaly. Can you explain what the changeover means?

Many thanks

Nick

Thanks for coming back to us @Nickster.

Sorry I should have explained that to you in my previous post. The home phone changeover is the process that we are going through to migrate landline services from the traditional wall socket to having the services via your hub and our fibre connection as the old network is being closed down by 2025 due to a government requirement. You can find more information about this here. Also there is some other information about the changes across the country and all operators, its Ofcom explanation and some further industry information  future of voice.

We will be in touch with you once a date has been arranged for your changeover to happen.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Tried the phone this morning a couple of times after the number was apparently 'reset' but although managed a bit of conversation, it produced a loud screech everytime and cut off. My concern is if lots of people are experiencing this problem and it might be a couple of years before this change over, what are we supposed to do until then? I'm certainly not going to keep paying for a phone I can't use, I would rather cancel the landline part of my package.

Nick

Thanks for coming back to us @Nickster, your line was reset but that doesn't mean that would resolve the issues from this, we are limited to what we can do remotely for such issues, the next step for this would be to arrange a technician visit to have this looked into further. Would you like me to arrange that for you or if you would want to remove the phone from your package, you would need to call into the team to arrange for this to be done as we cannot make any package changes over the forum. Please be aware that removing the landline could increase your price, if your services are part of a bundle.

The changeover will be happening at some point this year but we haven't got a confirmed date as of yet for your area.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Thanks for explaining all that, I will have a think about a technician as I really didn't want to go down that route. How ironic that removing the phone might increase the price of my package 🙄. The other point that I've been trying to make is that it must be more than just a fault at my property if so many customers are recently experiencing the same problems as me? It can't be just coincidence that so many people are having these faults with their landline unless it's a much wider problem.

Thanks Steven

Nick

Thanks for coming back to us @Nickster, please let me know, when you have made your mind up about the technician.

Our system doesn't show any issues in your area that would be causing these problems.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

I understand from what you say that it might be a long time before the switch (plugging into the hub rather than the wall socket sounds fine and just what I was asking in previous messages) and it seems this is what is being planned anyway. Will I receive confirmation when this is nearly ready to be done in my area and send me an adapter? Reading some of the links from your message it seems it was thought I must have already had a recently sent letter (which I haven't)....asking me to plug into hub on date shown.

Thanks

Nick

Screenshot_20220503-184518_Samsung Internet.jpg