Menu
keithh123
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Landline handset to block unwanted calls

I'm starting to get a lot of calls from US numbers (3 this morning so far). I normally don't answer but if I do they are silent and then stop. As they're random numbers there's no point in blocking specific numbers, so I'm wondering about a handset to block incoming international calls.

Most of the handsets out there are intended for BT. Does anyone have any handsets for this purpose that 1) work OK on Virgin and 2) are reasonably good handsets. I'd be looking for a set of 2-3 wireless handsets.

Has anyone removed the landline from the package but kept TV and internet? 99% of my genuine calls come through my mobile anyway!

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline handset to block unwanted calls

Hi Keith,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you are getting unwanted calls, there are handsets you can purchase , I recommend one that has call guard so you can choose which calls come through.

You can find more information here .

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@keithh123 wrote:

I'm starting to get a lot of calls from US numbers (3 this morning so far). I normally don't answer but if I do they are silent and then stop. As they're random numbers there's no point in blocking specific numbers, so I'm wondering about a handset to block incoming international calls.

Most of the handsets out there are intended for BT. Does anyone have any handsets for this purpose that 1) work OK on Virgin and 2) are reasonably good handsets. I'd be looking for a set of 2-3 wireless handsets.

Has anyone removed the landline from the package but kept TV and internet? 99% of my genuine calls come through my mobile anyway!

Rather than the simple blocking of different types of call, you should look at a device that processes and screens calls, then decides whether to put them through and ring your phone. Known callers in your address book are put straight through with no screening. Unknown callers are challenged to press a specific button on their phone and announce who they are. Only if they do that does the call come through to your phone. The automated scam calls cannot respond to this and so do not get through.

The range of BT Premium phones with trueCall features are often mentioned on the forums with some successful results.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/7-spam-calls-today-supposedly-from-Virginmedia/m-p/4...

On some rare occasions, there are mentions of issues with caller ID compatibility on some individual connections to VM landlines for the BT phones. Buying from a supplier with a good returns policy can help protect you against that possible problem though.

Alternatively, if you already have cordless handsets you are happy with, look at the trueCall standalone device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

this is probably one of the most expensive bits of hardware for the job but would be a similar cost to a new triple set of cordless phones. The online annual subscription at £20 (free for first year) is optional thereafter and the unit will work independently of the trueCall web link. Second hand units do sometimes pop up on eBay etc. at cheaper prices but with the usual caveats about purchasing there.

You can download the call blocker manual here and read how it functions

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/126.htm

It is highly configurable and can be fine-tuned in how it screens different types of calls. A final advantage is that, if there are any issues with caller ID compatibility on specific VM landline connections, then trueCall support can remotely access the device and tweak the configuration to account for any technical differences with caller ID.

I have used a trueCall standalone device since June last year and have not received any scam calls. I described the initial setup here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-Calls/m-p/4324071#M136451

If you only make little or no use of the landline though, you could probably just save yourself some money and let everything go to answering machine or just turn off the phone ringer and screen everything on caller ID/answering machine.

You might also have features on your existing phone (such as unique ringtones for VIP callers in your address book and setting ‘do not disturb’ times to keep the phone silent) which might help you decide which calls to pick up and which to ignore.

Some combination of the above options should help reduce the annoyance of the scam calls.

keithh123
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@goslow - Thank you so much for taking the time to write this helpful advice - much appreciated, and lots of options for me to consider further!