cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Fibre Switch June 2023

rowdyangel
On our wavelength

Hi all,

had email from VM today saying that from 1st June 2023 we will need to use the adapter they are going to send to us to accommodate the landline switch to fibre.

Our phone is located downstairs, our wifi hub is upstairs.  Where our wifi hub is located we have no phone socket and no spare electric socket to plug in a phone (the phone is one with a base that has an integrated answer machine and we have 2 hands-free phones in addition).  We can't relocate our wifi hub due to the location of several devices hard-wired to it and our home office set up for working from home.

Does anyone know how we can get around this?  TIA.

32 REPLIES 32

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@rowdyangel wrote:

Hi all,

had email from VM today saying that from 1st June 2023 we will need to use the adapter they are going to send to us to accommodate the landline switch to fibre.

Our phone is located downstairs, our wifi hub is upstairs.  Where our wifi hub is located we have no phone socket and no spare electric socket to plug in a phone (the phone is one with a base that has an integrated answer machine and we have 2 hands-free phones in addition).  We can't relocate our wifi hub due to the location of several devices hard-wired to it and our home office set up for working from home.

Does anyone know how we can get around this?  TIA.

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi rowdyangel 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

When its time for the switch over, we can arrange an engineer visit for you and they can ensure you can use the phone with the hub 🙂

Please pop back to us nearer the time and we would be happy to get that booked in for you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

rowdyangel
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply goslow, however with regards to this:

"Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub."

We don't have any landline extension sockets.  Our main phone downstairs is connected to a phone socket (the only phone socket in the house) but the 2 hands-free phones aren't connected to any phone sockets.  They are registered to the main handset.

Also, we have no spare electric socket in the room where the wifi hub is so even if we had a phone socket in that room we couldn't relocate the main phone as there is nowhere to plug it in for power.

Regards

Jayne

@rowdyangel wrote:

Thanks for your reply goslow, however with regards to this:

<snip>

Regards

Jayne

VM will install a phone cable running from the location of the VM hub to the location of your existing phone socket.

They disconnect your existing phone socket from the old line coming in from the street (so as to avoid feeding the connection from the VM hub back out into the street again). The new phone cable connects the phone socket on your hub to the existing phone socket.

When the phone socket on your hub is linked to your existing phone socket, that phone socket is then used as an extension socket linked to the back of the VM hub.

Alternatively, for a wires-free solution, see if you can get an additional satellite phone handset to go with your existing cordless system.

Move your cordless base station upstairs next to the hub and provide another power socket by means of a power splitter socket. Then use the extra satellite handset where the base station used to live. Most cordless systems allow full control of the base station from a satellite handset so you don't actually need to be next to the base station to see missed calls, pick up messages etc.

rowdyangel
On our wavelength

Thanks again goslow, I understand now.  I will contact VM nearer the time to book an engineer visit.

Regards

Jayne

Ashg
Superfast

This is a total disaster for me. I have no spare electric points where my hub is because I have  tech 8 items that are in constant use!

I cannot move my Hub either because I have a wired Ethernet network that goes around the house from that point which is perfect for the way I work .. No way am I  going to rewire my house network for a phone that used about once a month and most incoming calls I get are spam anyway!

Also a phone in that part in of my house will be useless for my needs!

Yes I could buy a bigger multi point  plug extension which cost me extra 😡. But that also means finding a space to put a phone in a room where it will just be in my way. Then I will have to buy another phone to put in the room where I need it to be.

Wow this a big problem for me!!!!! 😡😵😤... 

Thanks for the reply @rowdyangel on the forums. 👋🏼

No worries! Let us know when you'd like to book it on or reach out to us on here and we'll assist you and take over the rest.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

So to understand basically phone line is no more and its moving to VOIP?

Will this adapter box be able to connect to the hub or 3rd party router via a network cable?

If thats the case I will need to buy a switch.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@mitch84 wrote:

So to understand basically phone line is no more and its moving to VOIP?

Will this adapter box be able to connect to the hub or 3rd party router via a network cable?

If thats the case I will need to buy a switch.

VOIP has been (somewhat) misused when describing VM's phone service via the hub.

An ordinary phone plugs into the back of the VM hub via an adapter provided by VM.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Explained below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone-Switchover/gh-p/Switchover

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/