Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping your Number on leaving

Alun135
Dialled in

Just spoke to an extremely rude call taker

He explained about what I need to do to keep my number

Basically I have to sign up to my new provider give virgin a month's notice and during that time get them to port the number

All well and good untill he asked me why I was leaving I started to explain then found myself talking to a dead line he just hung up

How rude is that

I thought perhaps I was cut off for some reason last time that happened the call taker called me back this time nothing so it must have been a Deliberate act on his part

I was not rude or anything if the recording is played back they will hear it

5 REPLIES 5

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alun135, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that the call got disconnected. The line wouldn't have been put down intentionally. 

As the phone lines are busy now, chances are as soon as the line cut, a new customer came through to the agent so they would have been unable to call you back. 

Did you get all the information you needed regarding disconnection or was there anything we can help you with instead? 

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

hi Keith

thanks for the reply yes I suppose i have what I need if it actually happens as I have been told that Virgin do not willingly allow you to keep your number which I find strange.

we will see

the reason I am leaving is financial I have been with virgin for around 40 years starting with early NTL they recon I had a loyalty discount its a bit strange as I started discounting years ago as the bill was up to £80 at the time this was over 10 years ago so it was worth more than £80 today I was on top package but had to reduce costs last reduction I dropped it to basic tv virtually freeview and a low wifi it was £35 now its crept up to near £80 yet again.

I cannot see how I can reduce it without stopping my service all together this means loosing my email address which just about everyone who matters has but that's what I am going to have to do with Vodafone I can cut my broadband change airtime suppliers get a new I-phone for less than I am paying virgin so that is what is going to happen i will get an ariel mounted and get a free view box if what i have on the television does not do the job and use the co-ax cable running through the house for second room box to carry the ariel signal to the other rooms.

needs must

@Alun135 firstly you do not have to organise anything regarding porting (keeping) your number when moving suppliers, this is all handled by your new supplier.

What you must NOT do is give notice to VM before the port has gone through, annoying though it is and may involve you paying for two suppliers at the same time, the OFCOM rules are that the service from the original supplier has to be live with no disconnection requests pending, for the port to work - so, for once, not VM’s fault.

So deal only with your new supplier, ask them to process the number port and see what happens. The onus is entirely on the new supplier to sort this NOT you, just make sure that you don’t contact VM in any way.

Now there are some circumstances which means that the number port can’t happen for technical reasons - it’s not usual but does happen from time to time

Hi @Alun135 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear you're leaving us.  jem101 has advised correctly, but to add to that.  Your new supplier can only cancel your telephone service with us.  You would need to confirm with us the other cancellations, so when you've confirmed with your new supplier that they've approached us for your number you will need to call our team to raise a form so that any other services are cancelled.  I wish you the very best of luck for the future.

Regards

Lee_R

Alun135
Dialled in

Ok an update on this issue

Virgin point blank refused to transfer the number I followed all advice to the letter.

Was told in the end that vodafone could not request the number and virgin would not give ut to them.

So beware be prepared to loose the number

Make sure you advise the people that matter know the new number