Menu
paulbcohen1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Keeping home phone number

Hello, we're switching to VM and installation date is next Wed, 21st October. I just called our current provider, the Post Office, who warned against me cancelling as they say we would lose our current number and haven't heard from VM yet - we signed up a few days ago. I understood we'd keep our number. We're just taking a broadband package with VM. We don't make outgoing calls, only inbound. I tried phoning but the messages suggested a long wait and I accepted a text link - that just took me back to a menu I'd already seen.

So, can anyone advise? As I type this, it dawns on me that we might need a separate package just for a landline...hope not though.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul C.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Keeping home phone number

Thanks for the post Paulbcohen1 and welcome to our community.

You can just add the landline to the current account you'll be getting with us, you just need to contact the team on 150/0345 454 1111 although the text team should be able to do this as well if you text them on 0753 305 1809 and answer all the automated questions. 

Thanks, Emily

0 Kudos
paulbcohen1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Emily, would there be a charge for the landline and keeping our landline number?

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi paulbcohen1,

Thanks for your post, you would be correct that if you only are having broadband with us, but you are cancelling you landline with the other provider, then you will lose the number. There needs to be an existing landline for you to move your number to. It sounds like you are needing a number port which is the moving of your phone number from one provider to another for this, you need ensure both of the following:

• Two landline accounts
  • Both accounts need to be active at the same time at the requested date for the number to move safely over

You can find out more about porting here, but I would advise speaking with the sales team from the previous post about adding landline services to your package. Landline services have a monthly charge and line rental fees which are worked into the bundled price, but you can have a look at bundles here.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos