Menu
ChrisSteedman
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Incompatible Handset

For the past two and a half months, ever since my Virgin service started, I’ve been dealing with the problem of not being able to receive incoming calls. Well, the call does connect if I pick it up at the right time, but it doesn’t ring.

It feels like I’ve spoken to half a dozen different customer service people by this point and even had an engineer out to visit, none of which had any idea what was wrong. That is until today, when I was contacted by a member of the second line team who, eventually, suggested that my handset might be incompatible with Virgin because it’s too old.

It’s certainly possible because the handset in question is about twenty years old, but the question then becomes; what is compatible? The person I spoke to talked about VoIP, which does come up with a few results when I’m searching for landline phones on ebay, but I’m very cautious about buying one and having it turn out to be a waste of money if it still doesn’t work.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Incompatible Handset

Try the suggestion at message #7 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/No-Ringtone-on-Landline-Phone/m-p/4481972#M142763

The ADSL microfilter contains a ringing capacitor and this has sometimes allowed the phone to ring. If that worked you would then need to get a suitable adapter which does contain the ringing capacitor.

ChrisSteedman
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incompatible Handset

That worked, thanks! With the microfilter in place it rings properly.

0 Kudos