cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 second telephone socket

Tangent
Tuning in

Hi,

My VM router (hub 3) is located in a cupboard. Since it was installed on 17th April, the only phone which works in my house is the unit which is plugged into the router. All my other phones connected to extension sockets installed by BT are now defunct.

I understand this is because VM fibre uses VOIP instead of a landline.

Having just the one phone in a cupboard is not very convenient. At no time when I took out my contract did Virgin inform me that I would lose the use of my internal extensions. Further when the technicians fitted VM fibre they noted that I had internal extensions but failed to inform me that they would no longer work.

Naturally I am feeling cheated and misled.

I could go and buy a multi handset system but this still means the base unit would need to be attached to the router. Its not convenient going into a cupboard to check your answering machine also!

Is it possible to get the the second telephone socket on the back of the Hub 3 enabled and if a phone was connected to this would it share the same phone number as the phone plugged in to the first socket?

If this can be done I could salvage something from the mess VM have left me in.

39 REPLIES 39

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi KC999, sorry to hear you've encountered a similar issue. Let me take a look from here to see what needs to be done. 

I'll send a PM shortly to confirm some details  & hope to hear back from you soon.

@stilesfamily - I'm sorry you didn't receive Lee's PM - I've sent him an email to let him know so he'll get back to you again asap.

Tom 

I has my broadband install yesterday and phone. The modem is in one room but i want my phone in the different place.  I was told that this is a new phone coming from December 2019 and I need to buy a new phone with multi handset. 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can buy cordless handsets packs which will allow you to have phones anywhere you want and would not involve extra wiring.

example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-KX-TGC213EB-Trio-Phone-Blocking-Black/dp/B00M3UFTFQ/ref=sr_1_4?ke...

Hi g03.

Welcome to the community!

All new installs will now include having a 21CV voice service, which means that your landline will function from a connection the router.

If you wanted to have your phone in another room, I'd recommend purchasing a multi pack of cordless phones, so you can place these in the desired locations.

The alternative option would be to arrange for a relocation engineer to come out and move your router into the desired room along with the landline, however this will include a £99 charge. 

Regards,

Beth

Beth

It would be terrible if someone was to trip or fall on those slabs...

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What slabs?

imi
Up to speed

we are in the same position and need our extensions to be connected to Virgin - how do we go about doing this?

Hi imi,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

To confirm are you looking for your services to be moved to another part of your property?

^Martin

Hello

a helpful young chap came from Virgin Media to resolve a problem we were having since swapping telephone over to the hub which was that we were not receiving incoming calls on the landline. The issue was resolved except that now our telephone sockets all around the house are redundant. The only connection we now have is via the hub, which is in an inconvenient location, where we would need to go to pick up answer phone messages. The chap told us that there must be a fault with the internal wiring for the sockets not to work but I know this to be false as they were working fine prior to his arrival to resolve the incoming call problem and he said that the answer would be to rely on cordless phones around the house. He made no mention of the kit to which you refer to so, perhaps he wasn’t aware of its existence. We would like to know about this and how we could have one installed so that we could resume use of our hard wired phones. We would appreciate some advice in this regard if you are willing.

Regards
Dave

Hi SuzukiLS650,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that since the phone switchover you are no longer able to use your hard-wired extensions sockets.

Unfortunately, this will be the case from now on. As you are now using your landline in your hub, the extension socket in your property will now be dormant.

The only way you will be able to have additional handsets would be to change your home phone to a cordless handset with additional phones.

You mentioned about a kit we advised you about? Can you tell us more about this?

Kind regards Jodi.