cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 second telephone socket

Tangent
Tuning in

Hi,

My VM router (hub 3) is located in a cupboard. Since it was installed on 17th April, the only phone which works in my house is the unit which is plugged into the router. All my other phones connected to extension sockets installed by BT are now defunct.

I understand this is because VM fibre uses VOIP instead of a landline.

Having just the one phone in a cupboard is not very convenient. At no time when I took out my contract did Virgin inform me that I would lose the use of my internal extensions. Further when the technicians fitted VM fibre they noted that I had internal extensions but failed to inform me that they would no longer work.

Naturally I am feeling cheated and misled.

I could go and buy a multi handset system but this still means the base unit would need to be attached to the router. Its not convenient going into a cupboard to check your answering machine also!

Is it possible to get the the second telephone socket on the back of the Hub 3 enabled and if a phone was connected to this would it share the same phone number as the phone plugged in to the first socket?

If this can be done I could salvage something from the mess VM have left me in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

afaik the scond phone socket on the hub is for a second line - they are not connected

give retentions a ring and complain [nicely] they will hopefully get a tech back and do what jb66 suggests

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

39 REPLIES 39

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin installers should have connected your hub to the extensions if asked  there is a kit they have to enable extensions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

afaik the scond phone socket on the hub is for a second line - they are not connected

give retentions a ring and complain [nicely] they will hopefully get a tech back and do what jb66 suggests

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for the replies and the clarification re the second socket. 

I did call customer services but found them to be so poor I was beginning to wonder if any of the people I spoke to had ever seen a router or owned a telephone. Eventually I traced a UK direct number for customer services rather than use the useless 0345 call centre. They arranged for an engineer to call ( at no charge ). The engineer quickly established a connection to my existing extensions and mentioned that this should have been done at the time of the original installation.

So after a week of frustration I finally have a home phone system working as it was before I moved to Virgin.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry for the initial bad experience Tangent, but thanks for popping back to let us know it's sorted now.

If you need assistance with anything else please don't hesitate to give us another shout 👍 

Tom

I have this problem.  How do the engineers enable the extension sockets please.

Hi stilesfamily

Sorry you're having an issue with your phone service. I will send you a PM.  Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right of your screen 

I look forward to helping you

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee.  Where would your PM be  shown please. Thanks

Hi, we are in the same boat with are phones and the engineer informed us that we couldn’t use our phone extensions. Also we’ve had some other issues with our broadband and trying to deal with the the 0345 customer service is a nightmare, what is the UK based number we can use?

Msny thanks

I don't have a uk based number.  Customer services are terrible.  I am still waiting for a reply via PM from the guy who has tried to be helpful and passed it on to another team but still heard nothing.

On another matter of poor service, it is 3 weeks since my installation and I am still waiting for contractors to come and replace the paving slab they broke and fix 2 slabs that they left loose and uneven (this is after about 10 phone calls to them).  I am not impressed so far.