cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before...

adelphiaUK
Up to speed

...I receive my new VMO2 "landline" number? I'm an impatient sort of guy but I'd like to give friends and family a heads up of my new number before it goes live.

In all honesty I would prefer to keep my existing number but I'm told I can't port it across but no reason given as to why; anyone any ideas why?

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi adelphiaUK, thanks for your post - welcome to the community!

As far as I'm aware your landline number isn't provisioned until the account is active, I'm unsure why you were told you can't port your current landline number - as long as it's still active with your old provider that should work. I'd like to take a closer look and see what we can do to help clear things up around this. 

Please look out for my PM (the purple envelope) and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi adelphiaUK, thanks for your post - welcome to the community!

As far as I'm aware your landline number isn't provisioned until the account is active, I'm unsure why you were told you can't port your current landline number - as long as it's still active with your old provider that should work. I'd like to take a closer look and see what we can do to help clear things up around this. 

Please look out for my PM (the purple envelope) and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

Hi again @Tom_F.

I've just received an SMS asking if I wanted to have my engineer visit today (2nd) rather than on 20th to which I replied yes and had the subsequent confirmation that they'd be here between 1 and 6pm.

However, after doing this I had a thought; would this effect my "go live" date as I certainly don't want it to be activated before my Sky services are turned off.

In addition, I was wondering if your colleague has had any joy with sorting out the porting of my old number (only as far as to confirm it can be done)?  I have started the process to close my old SIP account as regards to becoming a PaYG instead of Pay Monthly, but the "contract" is in place until 31st December so I'm not sure how this will impact any switch. If I was told what my new (Virgin) number would be beforehand then I might even keep that if its an easy one to remember like AAABB XYXYXY or something like that (AAABB is the STD, not of the diseased variety I hasten to add).

Looking forward to your reply.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It won't affect your broadband at all. The Sky broadband service will continue until you cancel it (which Virgin won't do.)  Keep the Sky until you are happy with the Virgion connection.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

OK. An update...

My hardware is now installed (3 weeks earlier than expected) and, according to my account on my.virginmedia.com states I am now on the Ultimate Volt package.

However, when trying to activate my V360 I am receiving account retrieval error code CS1012 which, according to Google means its expecting a V6 box instead of the V360. I know VM has been having all kinds of issues today with the site being upgraded and all so it's possible it's all to do with that, I just don't know.

Although the dates are earlier than expected I'm not too concerned as my payment due date is the same and my bill generation date is just 1 day later then my current bill generation date. Do you think this might mean my account is in limbo despite having the new contract and being billed already or do you think there is an issue? I will try resetting the box again shortly although I have done that twice already.

Additionally, I'm going to try and update my signature but it may take a while (and a few attempts)  as I'm going to have to format it all manually in that single line edit box!

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

UPDATE

ive woken this morning and was pleasently surprised to see "Install Complete!" On my screen instead of that CS error I'd been looking at for the past few days. All I need to do now is sort my BB speed which has took a dive last night to between 64 and 72 mb; not bad considering I should be over 1,000!

More to follow...

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

UPDATE: 5th December 2021

Speeds have increased significantly. Now getting 560mbps on 5ghz WiFi 6 although my upload speed has dropped by 40% since yesterday (30mbps compared to 50mbps), again over 5ghz WiFi 6.

I have not tried on no PC yet as I'm still in the process of reinstalling all my software post rebuild; I'm not as fast as I once was.

The last thing I'm waiting on is the porting of my old SIP (VoIP) phone number or someone to tell me its not possible like I had incorrectly been told by sales (or so I was told).

Not sure if @Tom_F is still watching the thread (he may be on holiday) as he was addressing this for me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)