cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my landline reconnected to Virgin media

Truelyfair
Joining in

At the beginning of July my bill with VM was due a big hike so I shopped around and decided to move to Vodafone.  VM however came back with a better deal so I immediately (same day) cancelled with Vodafone who confirmed that everything was cancelled.  Later they set up a standing order which I cancelled.  At the date when the installation had been due to take place, unbeknown to me Vodafone requested control of my landline via BT Openreach.  Currently I have no landline and Virgin say they cannot do anything (Virgin Help Desk India??), the Virgin (UK) Engineer said I have to contact Open Reach but they do not speak with consumers only to Service Providers.  Vodafone is virtually impossible to speak with.    

Can anyone advise next steps please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Number ports on landlines are new provider led, so this is Vodafone’s fail. They obviously did not cancel everything when you asked them too. The line has now gone “inactive”, so under porting rules it can no longer be moved. Was it originally a Virgin number (issued by Virgin)? If it is it will go back into VMs pool & you should be able to get it back. If it is in another providers allocation almost certainly you have lost it for good.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Truelyfair

Sorry to hear this has happened

From what you have described I can kind of work out what needs to be done 

So you have an active Landline with us 

The number you had was transferred to BT Open Reach 

BT Open Reach has now been cancelled and the Number is sat with them now 

We can bring this number over to us, but it does require BT Open Reach to be active 

If not then sadly its not possible 

Gareth_L

Hello.  Thanks for response.  Dont quite understand the bit about 'Open Reach 'needs to be active'. Do I need to try and speak with them or if not, who?

Hi Truelyfair

Yes the Open Reach account would need to active 

Let us know how you get on if you contact them please 

Gareth_L

BT/Open Reach are saying that Virgin must request that the number be returned to them.  This looks like a long and winding road leading nowhere!   Arrh

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Number ports on landlines are new provider led, so this is Vodafone’s fail. They obviously did not cancel everything when you asked them too. The line has now gone “inactive”, so under porting rules it can no longer be moved. Was it originally a Virgin number (issued by Virgin)? If it is it will go back into VMs pool & you should be able to get it back. If it is in another providers allocation almost certainly you have lost it for good.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you. Helpful certainly but disappointing as it was a BT issued number originally.