Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How do I change my Virgin Media landline phone number please?

We get several automated nuisance calls daily at all hours, impossible to block.

How do I change my Virgin Media landline phone number please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I change my Virgin Media landline phone number please?

A change of number may not give you a long term fix to the problem. The recorded message spam typically comes from automated diallers which simply work their way through blocks of phone numbers until they get a response on lines that are live. Once that happens the calls are likely to continue. You also have the hassle of notifying all of your contacts of your new number.

Are you currently using a dedicated call blocking device? I too had received the same calls for a period of 6 months and recently fitted a call screener/blocker. After a bit of initial tweaking of the device settings this has completely eliminated the problem for me.

There are some limitations and considerations to setting one up which I posted about in this topic a few weeks ago.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-Calls/m-p/4324071#M136451

Hope you are able to resolve the issue. I know from experience how irritating it is, especially now we are all generally spending more time at home.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks goslow for your reply,

I'll take a look at TrueCall. From reading your review seems like I'd need a wireless base for the landline.

Bit off topic however VM charges me £2.50 / month for caller ID; is this typical?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A cordless phone means the cordless base station can be plugged into the trueCall unit which, in turn, is plugged into the phone (‘master’, in my case) socket. That way, all calls are processed through the trueCall unit before being passed (or not passed) to the home phones and causing them to ring. As the extensions will now also be cordless, they too only ring in conjunction with the base station for suitably-filtered and approved calls. I use an old Siemens Gigaset range of cordless phone. You can buy these as a base station and a number of cordless extensions depending on how many you need.

The trueCall acts as an answering machine in conjunction with the filtering so you can get a simpler type of cordless phone system (with no built-in answering machine). You would also disable any VM voicemail and allow trueCall to take over that function along with the filtering.

If you have extensions connected to wired phones at the moment, then these would not go through the trueCall unit meaning they may ring as soon as the call comes in and before the trueCall has processed/filtered the call. In this case you would still get the annoying interruptions of the phone ringing. Any hard wired extensions would not benefit from the screening feature of the device which allows you to listen to anyone put through and decide whether to accept the call or not so a cordless setup is best.

I should point out that my own setup uses a conventional phone socket as opposed to the new VM CV21 arrangement of the phone connected into the back of the VM hub. I don't know how/if trueCall would work with that newer setup.

Download the trueCall manual from the link in the other thread and have a look at what it can do and see if it suits your needs and current home phone setup. You could also give trueCall themselves a ring to discuss with them any of the specifics you might need.

As for the caller ID cost, I believe that all providers should now offer this for free as part of their home phone service. If you have had it in place for a while though, it may show up on billing as a legacy service depending on whatever VM package you may be on at the moment. Someone else may be able to advise in more detail on this.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks again for your excellent advice and suggestions. Much appreciated. I'll certainly be reading the TrueCall manual as you suggest.