cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i stop landline text delivery during the night

DorianKelly
Joining in

How can i stop land line text delivery in the middle of the night? Its so disturbing snd usually a nuisance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bit hard to know who should be honouring the delivery schedule but, since it is a BT service, I would guess it would be BT's job to honour the set schedule since it is their service and you are setting options via their system.

If known senders are sending you text messages to landline, then they should get a non-delivery report if you have the feature turned off and that should encourage them to resend to your mobile.

Looking at a different approach, have a look on your landline phone and see what features it has available. Many have a 'do not disturb' feature which may allow only known VIP contacts to ring through at night and anything else go silently to answering machine. Some even allow DND to be set on a timed schedule.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DorianKelly, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are receiving these in the middle of the night. 

As it stands, we don't have a way of blocking these texts I'm afraid. 

This page should give you some useful hints and tips on how to reduce and eliminate scam callers and texts though: How do I deal with unwanted or nuisance calls?

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Am assuming the OP means the phone ringing at night when someone has sent a text message to the landline no. and a call comes in which converts the text message to a voice message.

What about page 28 in the VM phone guide

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

opting out/in from 'Voice Text'? Would this not turn that feature off?

Hi goslow, 

That's a great shout but it all depends on the handset the OP is using. 

Some of these won't block the texts but it may be worth a go. 

@DorianKelly - please give the instructions on the guide goslow has posted and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Unfortunately this doesn’t work. I tried it and it told me I’m already on a BT standard curfew, but they warned that it only really works on BT hardly ever on virgin.

Hi DorianKelly, 

I'm really sorry to hear that the information on the guide didn't work for you. 

It may be worth trying to source a handset that doesn't provide the the option. Failing that another option we could look at is a change of telephone number. 

Please let us know how you get on and if you want further assistance you know where we are. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

@DorianKelly wrote:

Unfortunately this doesn’t work. I tried it and it told me I’m already on a BT standard curfew, but they warned that it only really works on BT hardly ever on virgin.

I'm a bit confused as to the specific issue and not sure it is anything directly to do with the handset.

@DorianKelly

Are you actually receiving text messages (in writing) on the phone, which as far as I can see seems to be something that you have to opt into and also have a landline phone capable of receiving the messages.

Or is the issue that you are receiving telephone calls on your landline at night which turn out to be text messages that are converted into spoken messages? (This has been a standard feature on landlines for a while AFAIK).

If it is the latter, can you identify who the messages are coming from and what they are to do with?

Are they coming from the same number or different numbers?

Also worth noting that these unwanted text messages could well be linked to various telephone scams.

The number shown is the BT text delivery service number. The interpreted texts vary but are  scams,  The callback numbers given as part of the message seem to be international numbers as they never begin with a zero. Naturally i don't phone them.

surely i have a right to expect s nights sleep now and then… i just want to set a curfew on text delivery. The technology exists by BT, so Virgin could if they wanted, implement it.  

We will certainly pass on your feedback @DorianKelly

If you do want to look at the option of changing your number as mentioned by Kath, let us know. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

@DorianKelly

OK, after a bit more research the info in the VM manual seems incomplete.

You dial the number 0800 587 5252 (which I have just done). It plays you an announcement and advises of your number and current curfew setting (and it does then mention it may not work on non-BT numbers). You have reported you are currently on the 'Standard ( 11:00pm to 07:00am )' option.

It then asks you to press 1 to change the options and then after that it goes through the choices in the list from post #2 at the link below

https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/How-do-I-stop-receiving-text-messages-on-my-home-phone/td-p...

If you then choose option 5 from the list, it turns off the feature and then the call ends itself. It advises the change will be applied within 20 minutes.

I have just gone through this process on my own VM line and changed the 'Standard' curfew to 'Off'.

See if you can do the same and see if that stops the text to voice messages.

(Edit: Original post had wrong link. Have now corrected.)